Review of Deny of the Tiger

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Zee_Zee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zee-zee.html
Latest Review: Get WalletWise by Ken Remsen

Review of Deny of the Tiger

Post by Zee_Zee »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Deny of the Tiger" by Al Borges.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Deny of the Tiger followed the story of Al Borges as an offensive coordinator, the events that led up to his employment with Auburn University, and their subsequent 2004 football season. Al Borges had spent a sore year at Indiana University and was more than happy to apply for the position of offensive coordinator for the Auburn Tigers. After he was brought on by the head coach, Tommy Tuberville, Borges immediately reviewed the players and got them ready for the Spring games. Borges was confident in the skills of his players. His goal was to get all parts of the team working together: the offense, the defense, and the receivers. As the games arrived, the Tigers embarked on a winning streak that would soon transport them to the SEC and the Sugar Bowl. The author documented the journey in this book.

The author narrated his story in a clear tone, and his love for the game radiated through the book's pages. The consequent aura would compel non-football fans to consider the game more closely with interest. For die-hard football lovers, this book would solidify their love for and connect them more to the game, as the author shared intricate details of the internal workings of the sport. Borges took readers through the step-by-step but progressive strategies of the game, both off and on the field. He was able to build up a crescendo of excitement and anxiety as he gave accounts of the games the team played.

One thing that made this book an exciting read was the witty, humorous way that the author narrated this story. The entire book was punctuated with funny remarks that would make readers laugh. An instance of this was when the author wanted to explain the concept of the 'four-vertical,' he wrote: "For those who are unfamiliar with the four-vertical concept, there's really very little to it. Four dudes haul ass straight down the field as fast as their butts will take them." In another instance, the author had taken a picture with the singer, Sarah Evans, and her husband, plus his wife, Nikki. Borges wrote that he later cut Sarah's husband from the picture so two women could flank him. His sense of humor may be unconventional, but it would sure make one laugh.

The author's story captured that part of sports that concerned self-discipline and determination. Borges' personality also came through in his sense of humor and the way he ensured that his players built up confidence in themselves. He did this with his quarterback, Jason Campbell, and was determined to let the young man know that it was okay to make mistakes. It was a fantastic takeaway to always believe in myself enough that I no longer feared mistakes.

There weren't a lot of technical football terms. However, there were many strategy talks from which players of the game or aspiring football players could pick a thing or two. And for those who know nothing about the game, the author provided sufficient insight to get one started. I found only a couple of errors. Nonetheless, Deny of the Tiger was terrific, and I loved every part. Therefore, I'd rate it four out of four stars. I'd recommend this book to football fans, especially supporters of the Auburn Tigers.

Deny of the Tiger
View: on Bookshelves
Odala00phiri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-odala00phiri.html
Latest Review: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature by Chet Shupe
2022 Reading Goal: 50
2022 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by Odala00phiri »

I like sports stories, especially about football. I will enjoy this book. Thanks for the review.
ExcellenceAwuzie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by ExcellenceAwuzie »

From your review, this book will be a perfect match for a sports lover like me.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”