Review of Bluewater Walkabout

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Shelby Ayres
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shelby-ayres.html
Latest Review: The Wrong Side of the Room by Norman Mathews

Review of Bluewater Walkabout

Post by Shelby Ayres »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Bluewater Walkabout" by Tina Dreffin.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin is a non-fiction memoir of her adventure with her family in Africa and the seas. Tina, her two teenage sons, and her husband travel through the wilds of Africa and into shark-infested waters. The trip started in South Africa. The family traveled to many countries before heading to Kruger National Park. A walkabout is a term for when someone takes the time to connect with oneself and figure out who they truly are. Tina’s walkabout had many ups and downs, but it was truly an inspiring pilgrimage that she went on in the company of her family. Tina told the perfect tale, an unraveling of present and past that pulled everything together. Everything from wildlife encounters to life on the seas made this book such an incredible journey. How will a journey like this shape this family? How will this family grow?

I thoroughly enjoyed the photos throughout the book, they helped set the tone, and they helped to engage the reader on a personal level. The quotes at the beginning of each chapter were also a very nice touch from the author. The emotions in the book were almost palpable with the descriptions and the amount of time the author spent recreating every scene. The author’s word choices were interesting. Everything was so perfectly said that I was able to indulge and almost reminisce with the author as she told her story.

I thought the ending was abrupt and slightly confusing. It almost felt as if the author just gave up finishing the book, but there was a sentence at the very end that wrapped it all together. I just felt that it was a quick finish in what was an astounding book.

The book was an incredible journey and extremely captivating from start to finish. The author’s story felt genuine and authentic. I felt like the author was having a conversation with me, telling me about her journey with her family in and around Africa. I had a hard time putting this book down, given the amount of detail and the authenticity throughout the book. Thus, the book is deserving of nothing less than a rating of 4 out of 4 stars.

I would recommend this book to those who enjoy adventure books or memoirs. I think people that enjoy sailing books or books about sea adventures would thoroughly enjoy this novel. This book does talk about sexual assault from her past, so I would recommend the readers’ discretion.

Bluewater Walkabout
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”