Review of The Adventures of a Train Trekker

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Amzes17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amzes17.html
Latest Review: According to The Promise by R. David Hollingsworth

Review of The Adventures of a Train Trekker

Post by Amzes17 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Adventures of a Train Trekker" by Adriana Carboni.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

How do you explain to people your rather unusual obsession with travel by train and railways? Well, that's easy. You write a book! Adriana Carboni developed a love for long-distance travel almost twenty years ago. When she finally realises this idea of travelling around and about Australia, it doesn't come as a shock that she chooses to travel by train. On three separate journeys, she selects The Indian Pacific, The Ghan, and Queensland rail, respectively, to bring forth the beauties of the Australian landscape (beauties she swears she would not have experienced in the sky or on the road by car). Revel in the exquisite art of Hahndorf, taste the delectable cheese from Barossa Hill and learn a thing or two about train travel as you join the author in this 9-chapter journal, The Adventures of a Train Trekker: One Lady's Journeys on The Indian Pacific, The Ghan, and Tales of Queensland Rail.

This book is organised into 9 chapters and 142 pages. The cover page is attractive. The title appears in a single-text style but with variations in text size. Still, there is a balance in composition. On the cover page is the famous Indian Pacific, a name you will encounter more than once. The background is a blend of blue and pink pastels representing the outdoor scenery I am certain one experiences while travelling by train. This book also contains illustrations similar to the one on the cover page. They always represent the author's point of discourse.

I found that I loved some things in this book. The author kept a detailed account of her experiences on these journeys. She did not hide her excitement from the reader. One can notice this in many statements that bear exclamation marks, for instance, "A Votre Sante!" on page 16. The author was very particular about the histories of the locations she visited, and for these, she provided citations of the sources of information contained in her book. She always had something to say about the origin of a place, the personality of her people, their trade, and their signature delicacies. I found her tale of Kangaroo Island interesting. How the English sailors named it after a meal abundant in kangaroo meat is interesting. The author does have a sense of humour. I laughed a few times when she decided to show her humorous side in writing, such as when she says she adopted a man with a similar last name as hers, though completely unrelated, to be a relation because of his honorable deeds. Of course, the author leaves last-minute suggestions on places readers must go if they ever visit.

While there are things to love, there are also things to dislike. The transition in the book is not seamless. The author separated the tale of a place from another by merely a single-line space. Most of the time, I didn't realize that I had been whisked into a new world because of this. Also, the details are less about the author's experiences in these places and more about the places themselves. There's a lot of history documented. We've heard and read about the Australian people and their geography and mouth-watering dishes. What makes reading another such book enchanting lies in the way the author chooses to express her experiences to the reader. It should be almost palpable; it should be described in a way that makes every new story come to life with each word read. Sadly, I didn't feel any of these while reading. I simply read.

Adding the fact that I found more than ten errors(signifying that the book wasn't professionally edited) to the negatives mentioned above, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. It could have been better, in my opinion. Adventure seekers, long-distance travellers, historians and lovers of history, train trekkers indeed; I recommend this book to you.

The Adventures of a Train Trekker
View: on Bookshelves
Yasmine M
Currently Reading: Wild World
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yasmine-m.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah
2022 Reading Goal: 50
2022 Goal Completion: 12%

Post by Yasmine M »

It must be a delight to read this book. Nice way to learn about new places.
Travelling long distance by train must be exciting, you get to see more country, and in this case Australia. Thank you for the review.
Summer Henrietta
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-summer-henrietta.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Summer Henrietta »

I've never been on a train ride and I'd always wondered how it felt , I guess this is my answer.
I like that the book is well detailed and informative.
Nice review.
Grace Tish
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Grace Tish »

I do love the book although I haven't ride on a train before.The details and experience of the author had made me show interest and would like to experience a train ride one day.Woud give 4-5 stars for the book.
Ceri Setiawan
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ceri Setiawan »

This book is really good. Especially for me, the one was never rided the train before. This will be a guide and non live experienced for me how i felt when i am on the train. Nice book!
Odala00phiri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-odala00phiri.html
Latest Review: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature by Chet Shupe
2022 Reading Goal: 50
2022 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by Odala00phiri »

Thanks for the well-detailed review. Adventure by train must be very exciting. I have never had any experience but am sure I will try it for one long journey.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”