Review of Bluewater Walkabout

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ibunyi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ibunyi.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Review of Bluewater Walkabout

Post by Ibunyi »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Bluewater Walkabout" by Tina Dreffin.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Bluewater Walkabout: Into Africa is a memoir by Tina Dreffin about her life sailing around the world. The book is a collection of 23 stories revolving around her voyage and adventure life. Tina had always been adventurous since her childhood. However, the actualization of these dreams was almost unattainable because of adult life's struggles. After meeting Peter, who later became her husband, she discovered they both shared similar adventurous aspirations. They created their own ocean life, sailed aboard ships, and raised a family in the sea. They hoped to find good memories in every place they visited or toured. Some of their experiences were unforgettable and great. However, there were a few incidences when they got disappointed.

Bluewater Walkabout: Into Africa starts with Tina and her family touring Kluger National Park in South Africa. Her adopted kids, Adam and Warren, and their friends accompany her. They learn many traits about wild animals on their tour. In the Scud, their vessel, they are joined by Sam and Gary, who developed a brotherly bond with the two adopted kids. They enjoy the calmness of the seas as they sail, learning about sea animals and local customs and history.

The book is interesting, especially when recounting their exploration of wildlife. Tina's vivid description of even the tiniest events prevailed throughout the book. The artwork on the cover page is reflective of the entire plotline. The numerous dangers they exposed themselves to made the book more relatable. Similarly, the language is simple and easily understandable to readers of many diversities. I applaud the author for disclosing such fears and revealing that she was a victim of sexual assault in her past. This must have been hard to reveal to a vast number of readers. Furthermore, this made the storyline stick in my mind as the authenticity is evident. Bluewater Walkabout: Into Africa developed many essential themes like family, meditation, mental health, and adventure, among many others.

I encountered a few errors in the course of the book. The book was, therefore, professionally edited. However, apart from the mentioned mistakes, I found nothing else to negate the appeal the book poses. In addition, I found Tina to be a robust role model for many people. She first challenges the reader to develop love and trust in themselves, which I found to be the basis of many happy lives. Therefore, I gladly awarded this book a perfect four out of four stars rating.

People with a keen interest in memoirs will enjoy reading this book. In addition, I recommend the book to adventure enthusiasts and also to individuals who love voyages. The themes of friendship and family growth in the ocean are vital to any avid reader.

Bluewater Walkabout
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”