Review of Profile on Twelve Platoon

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sam Ibeh
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam-ibeh.html
Latest Review: The vampires: Sodom and Gomorrah by Levănt DuPrae

Review of Profile on Twelve Platoon

Post by Sam Ibeh »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Profile on Twelve Platoon" by Stephen Henry Michell.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Profile on Twelve Platoon was an undiluted memoir of a Canadian soldier during the events of World War II. Stephen Henry Michell originally wrote this book. Although late, his son, John Edgar Michell, deemed it necessary to share his story with the world.

When Germany crossed the border into Poland, Britain declared war, and a wave of change came over the world, with men vying for a piece of the action. Canada joined the fray, and the author would be recruited too. With no idea of what lay in store for them, he and his comrades in arms trudged on. What trials and tribulations awaited them? How did he survive a war that should have never been fought?

Memoirs are usually a hit or miss and generally lack excitement because they narrate one's life. A memoir based on a time of a well-known terror creates a sense of curiosity, especially for me, who can only know about it in the history books. Judging from other stories I've read, I'm grateful not to have experienced it.

What stood out for me while reading was the feeding. I wondered how they survived — how they had the will to fight with such rations. It was a period when cigarettes were traded for loaves of bread. The author narrated their situation vividly. It got to a point where they had to scrounge and scavenge around for a single daily meal.

The author didn't get much of the war action. Instead, I saw him from another perspective. He wrote from a prisoner of war's point of view. He and his cohorts were captured at the battle of Dieppe. I saw how the Germans treated them — a stark difference from the concentration camps.

War would always have a dark cloud, but the author showed us a little of the bright side. Because of his love for music and expertise in making songs, he regularly played with a band they created during captivity. Even their captors enjoyed watching them play, and sometimes he got special treatment because he lightened the aura of gloom and doom. I always got cracked up whenever the author wrote in the accents of the people he met. Humorous banter was strewn across the pages of Profile on Twelve Platoon.

I found some typos and grammatical errors while reading. Besides that, there was nothing I disliked. However, considering the number of errors, I'd rate Profile on Twelve Platoon 3 out of 4 stars. I would recommend it to lovers of historical stories about wars.

Profile on Twelve Platoon
View: on Bookshelves
Odala J Phiri
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-odala-j-phiri.html
Latest Review: In the End by Ken Saik

Post by Odala J Phiri »

I know more about the negatives of war. This book, through the experience of the author makes me realize the positive side. Quick exciting. Thanks for the review.
Latest Review: In the End by Ken Saik
FEISAL MAALIM
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by FEISAL MAALIM »

We all know negatives of war but the author experienced and makes me realize the positive side. It was a an exciting and enjoying.I have rated this book 3 out of 4 stars because the author makes me realizing the positive side. I will have recommend it lovers of historical stories about wars.
Mr Excellence
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mr-excellence.html
Latest Review: Four Critical Days by Edward Vogler

Post by Mr Excellence »

I always enthusiastic towards war stories and adventures. I feel intrigued any time I see a war history book. And this is one of them.
Thanks for the great review.
Austin Debby
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-austin-debby.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Austin Debby »

I think the author should take it through another round of editing as you suggested. Reading a book with so many errors could be daunting. Insightful review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”