Review of It's In The Little Things

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
JonesLeeh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 254
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jonesleeh.html
Latest Review: What Would The Founding Fathers Tell Us Today? by Werner Neff

Review of It's In The Little Things

Post by JonesLeeh »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "It's In The Little Things" by Gayle Suzanne.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We cannot all be equal in life; some people have to be ahead of others in distinct sectors. Let’s look back to when we were young boys and girls. We all had various circles of friends. Some were popular, while others were not. There was that “different” person that the “cool kids” often humiliated because of their appearance. Do we ever consider putting ourselves in the shoes of such victims? Maybe we should because life is unpredictable!

Gayle Suzanne talks about her life growing up as a young girl. It was replete with mockery, ridicule, and unfortunate moments. She was often the odd one out in circles, class, etc. Years move, and Gayle enrolls in classes she was poor in, like pottery, accounting, and even attending wine tasting occasions, only to end up throwing up. While venting and sharing some of her memories, Gayle does not forget to inform us of the importance of letting go. You’re angry at someone who barely gives a thought about you, so you end up hurting yourself, especially your mental health.

It’s In The Little Things is about a young girl who moves on after a horrific past of ridicule and sexual abuse. Forgiveness is at the core of the book. I found “The God Box” fascinating. Read more to discover what it’s all about, among others.

I despised one thing, albeit lightly. I felt like the author tried too much to validate her past life. I understand her rough patch of being humiliated because of her weight, among others. However, as a child, I felt like Gayle looked for too much validation from others. This habit goes on until when she’s over forty years. At a sports event, she hangs out with a group of women who appeared to be “cool,” only to be discredited.

While reading It’s In The Little Things, I asked myself two questions: Can we get over a traumatic past? Can we forgive those that hurt us? These two questions helped me conclude. Unless we can move on and forgive, our mental health will always be at stake. We pile up so much negative energy that we end up losing it. This blunder affects our families, friends, businesses, health, etc.

I only found a few grammatical flaws. Therefore, I can affirm the book is well edited. I rate it 4 out of 4 stars. Every so often, we doubt our abilities, and if you’re one of them, I recommend this book.

It's In The Little Things
View: on Bookshelves
Shanjida Sultana
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Shanjida Sultana »

Thank you for this review. I'll definitely be reading it because i feel like it would be something relatable for me.
Odala00phiri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-odala00phiri.html
Latest Review: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature by Chet Shupe
2022 Reading Goal: 50
2022 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by Odala00phiri »

It is worrisome to be left out of circles as a child. If not taken seriously, people grow with such a mentality and don't mind others in future. Thanks for the review.
Yasmine M
Currently Reading: Wild World
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yasmine-m.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah
2022 Reading Goal: 50
2022 Goal Completion: 12%

Post by Yasmine M »

Gayle went through a lot. The book shows that childhood trauma can seriously affect a person until later on or probably their entire life; in this case Gayle kept her anger, hurts and was still looking for other's validation in her forties. Kids at school should be taught to accept other people's differences.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”