Review of Seven Superpowers: How Parents Can Shift from Punishment and Control to Comfort and Success

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
VernaVi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vernavi.html
Latest Review: Fortunate Turn of Events by Manny Fulsom
2022 Reading Goal: 50
2022 Goal Completion: 50%

Review of Seven Superpowers: How Parents Can Shift from Punishment and Control to Comfort and Success

Post by VernaVi »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Seven Superpowers: How Parents Can Shift from Punishment and Control to Comfort and Success" by Dr. Maria Gilmour.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Seven Superpowers: How Parents Can Shift from Punishment and Control to Comfort and Success by Dr. Maria Gilmour is a book about behavior. It helps parents find balance through interaction with their children. Are we strung out on the dopamine provided through the use of our digital devices? Will the superpowers mentioned in this book prove to be successful? To find out, you must check out this interesting and informative guide.

How many of us have experienced a child's temper tantrum? Maybe when we were little, we even threw a tantrum or two. A temper tantrum never seems to help a situation. This book deals with the reasons why children throughout the centuries have done this. What I liked best about it was the pleasant and informative narrative. It often feels like a friendly chat. I like how the explanations make things clear. The examples of parental models of action and behavior were exceptional, and I found them to be some of the best takeaways of the book.

To begin with, this author supplies readers with instances of some of the wrong ways of doing things. These examples are helpful because many of us have seen or experienced similar situations. This book provides simple steps that people can take to help them counteract some of the adverse outcomes in life. There is a particular focus on children's behavior, but there are also some steps for adults to take that will help improve outcomes.

The narrative in this book is helpful and professional. I enjoyed the ways problems and solutions are listed and presented. The bullet lists were clear and concise. I found it easy to absorb the information because of this clean format. The bold subheadings were also handy. The subheadings broke up the text and caused the narrative to flow at a good pace.

This book isn't just a dry narrative of problems and solutions. Humor and positive thinking are sprinkled throughout the stories that it shares. It also shares experiences and stories that help prove that the listed suggestions work. I identified with many of the situations that were similar to past experiences. It's easy to see the truth in how this book is written. Creating a structure to follow for things such as meals or bedtime sounds simple. However, life can get in the way, and this book helps show how to balance that aspect.

I found no negatives to list for this work. It is exceptionally well edited. It is free of errors. The book is presented in a way that works for readers who like to settle in and read. Conversely, it also suits readers who live a busy or stressful lifestyle. I can see how implementing just a few of these suggestions would make radical and positive changes. For these reasons, this book has achieved a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. It will appeal to parents and people who spend time with kids. I recommend it to readers who like simplifying children's problems and learning ways to calm stressful situations.

Seven Superpowers: How Parents Can Shift from Punishment and Control to Comfort and Success
View: on Bookshelves

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”