Review of My hero

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
JonesLeeh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 254
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jonesleeh.html
Latest Review: What Would The Founding Fathers Tell Us Today? by Werner Neff

Review of My hero

Post by JonesLeeh »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "My hero" by Christine lee.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We all have heroes: our parents, teachers, a friend, or even a notable member of society. For Christine, it is her late mother, and she dedicates this book to her. Growing up was not easy for the author. Being brought up in a Korean village was rough. Things ranged from gender prejudice to conflicting religious beliefs.

Adding salt to the injury, Christine had an absent father. And even when he was around, he was abusive to her mother. She had to stand up to her father because of his cruelty. One principle Lee’s mother instilled in her was devotion to God, as the committed Christian she was. Then the time came when Christine and her family moved from Korea to the United States, only for her father to walk out on them! Life was now impossible!

Christine authors a provocative read named My hero. In each chapter, there was always a challenging idea. One was about our eyes; they can see everything but not themselves. I had never thought about it that way until I devoured this book.

I loved the stories the author incorporated amid all the life lessons and dogmas. It was hard to imagine the tough life women encountered back then. While Korea was still a colony of Japan, Christine’s mother had to face the unimaginable to survive. Japanese soldiers came collecting ladies to be used as “comfort women.” Christine’s mother had to be temporarily crippled to dodge the horrendous ordeal.

I did not like the first pages of the book. The title was crystal clear that the book was about the author’s mother and the teachings she instilled in her. However, the beginning discussed some biblical excerpts like Elijah and his doings. Luckily, as I turned the pages, things began changing course as anticipated.

I enjoyed the mental and personal transitions of the author. Christine’s childhood village worshiped snakes as their gods. However, she and her mother gradually revolutionized their ways by shunning such unfathomable beliefs. It was thrilling to read about someone else’s culture and discover how diverse the world is. I chuckled at some of the tough love Christine received from her mum. One incident was a thorough beating for stealing her mother’s money.

Given the insignificant number of errors I encountered, the book is professionally edited. I rate it 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend My hero by Christine lee to audiences who’d care for a read about a diverse culture and a mother’s tough love and devotion to her kids.

My hero
View: on Bookshelves
Paully_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paully.html
Latest Review: The Arrow That Flies By Day by John Servant

Post by Paully_ »

Christine has a difficult childhood. Fortunately, she had her mother who played an important role in her life. I like book with biblical excerpts. Nicely written review.
Odala00phiri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-odala00phiri.html
Latest Review: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature by Chet Shupe
2022 Reading Goal: 50
2022 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by Odala00phiri »

She must have been troubled. Gender prejudice, conflict religious beliefs and an abusive father must be stressing to her. Such people grow stronger but they may be traumatised sometimes.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”