Review of The MECE Muse

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Avina
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avina.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Review of The MECE Muse

Post by Avina »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The MECE Muse" by Christie Lindor.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Before obtaining this book, I must confess that consultancy belonged to a list of professions I had no idea how they worked. However, Christie Lindor's The MECE Muse helped me delete consultancy from that list. The book is an in-depth look at the consulting industry, how it works, and, most importantly, how to become a great consultant. Lindor uses her over fifteen years of experience to create a powerful book that can serve as mentorship to prospective and aspiring consultants alike in The MECE Muse.

The book covers most of the significant aspects of the profession, especially in terms of actions and inactions required of the average consultant. Lindor also writes about the experiences of various established consultants, providing a means by which the young reader can obtain some personal tips from those who already know how the business works.

The aspect of the book that I appreciate the most is its structure. The fact that The MECE Muse is divided into three elaborate sections made it easy for me to grab the author's message efficiently. The first section comprises topics related to how the minds of great consultants work. Here, I learned how consultants should perceive various consulting situations and clients. It also emphasizes the establishment of a balance between work and personal life in such a manner that the consultant is not overburdened.

The second section, which I found most engaging, contains topics that are more concerned with the actual performance of a consultant. This section helped me understand how a consultant can put their ideas into action and work effectively with their team while ensuring that their client is satisfied throughout the process. The third section is career-inclined and includes an analysis of the various approaches to a successful consultancy career. The author discusses great consultants, who I found very interesting and appealing.

Above everything, what I found most appealing about the book is the MECE principle, which is common in consulting practice and is behind the book title. MECE means "Mutually Exclusive, Collectively Exhaustive." This principle suggests the management of every situation in independent bits. These bits should, however, cover every aspect of the initial issue. While I know the author learned this principle in her consulting practice, I think it also applies to other professions, hence my plan to adopt it.

There is nothing about the book that I do not hold in high regard. While I don't believe in perfection, I think this book is the closest thing to a perfect guide for consultancy enthusiasts and professionals alike. Despite my initial lack of knowledge and interest in the profession, The MECE Muse proved to be a great read and helped me develop an interest in consultancy. I also believe that the book was exceptionally edited.

As a result of my immense love for the book, I rate it 4 out of 4 stars. I do not disagree with the book's content or structure enough to earn it a lower rating. I recommend it to young consultants and others interested in knowing how the consultancy profession works.

The MECE Muse
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”