Review of My life uncensored

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Corrie-Lynn Penny
Currently Reading: Thunderhead
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-corrie-lynn-penny.html
Latest Review: Consciousness Unbundled by Jack Veffer

Review of My life uncensored

Post by Corrie-Lynn Penny »

[Following is a volunteer review of "My life uncensored" by Cristina Caymares.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Sometimes those who grow up in a privileged home forget about other children’s hardships. Cristina Caymares isn’t here to give you a heartfelt coming-of-age fairy tale. Sometimes the truth isn’t what we want to read, but what good does ignoring reality do? Growing up, Cristy had to navigate her childhood and endure experiences no child should have to suffer. Cristy lost her father at a young age before he could genuinely influence her life and choices. This leaves Cristy’s emotionally distant mother as a single parent raising three kids with the help of their grandmother. Cristina Caymares provides a detailed narrative about how her environment throughout her upbringing influenced her emotions, personal choices, and relationships with her various family members and romantic partners.

Reading this story, I couldn’t help but empathize with Caymares. My life uncensored is a narrative that speaks volumes about how parents have such a heavy influence on the upbringing of children. Caymares did a beautiful job portraying how one can become accustomed to their living situation, no matter how unsettling and unfortunate it may be. It also did a wonderful job showcasing the emotional and behavioral consequences of growing up in a neglectful environment. The internal dialogue was robust and shaped the progression of the narrative.

My life uncensored was short and straight to the point, with thorough descriptions and elevated emotions that painted a complete picture. The story was divided up into four chapters that went into detail about various characters and their influence on Cristy. The characters felt so real, and it was as if I was living this experience firsthand. Additionally, the dialogue felt natural and flowed alongside the narrative. From my perspective, there were no negative elements to this story. It is an excellent example of what a well-written autobiography should be like.

This narrative was raw, and it does its job of making the reader aware of the uncomfortable reality Cristy endured going up. Caymares successfully expressed how all of it affected her transition into adulthood. This story was professionally edited with almost no mistakes and was easy to understand. I rate this story 4 out of 4 stars for the reasons listed.

I recommend this to an adult and an older teen audience due to minor profanity and concepts of domestic violence and sexual assault. I would highly recommend this to everyone in that age category to read because it’s such a strong narrative that highlights children’s struggles. It may also inspire others to strive to be better for their children.

My life uncensored
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”