Review of Hinduism

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Marsha JJ
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: On the Precipice of the Labyrinth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marsha-jj.html
Latest Review: Tyler's Promised Gift by M. C. Abushar

Review of Hinduism

Post by Marsha JJ »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Hinduism" by Dr Hiro G. Badlani.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Hinduism is a fantastic deep dive into one of the world’s largest religions. Dr. Hiro G. Badlani has taken a complex topic and managed to summarize its essential parts in an informative and engaging way. Comprehensive in scope, the book covers themes such as the history of this religion, the Vedas (Hindu scriptures), cultural influences, key spiritual figures, festivals, temples, and more. I walked away from reading this book with a deeper perspective and understanding of the Hindu religion, culture, and philosophy.

Hinduism is a remarkably good book. Dr. Badlani demonstrated a unique talent for distilling a comprehensive subject into short, digestible chapters. The book is very well-organized. The author was able to fit in meaningful explanations of key themes while remaining on point. There were several aspects of the book that were favorites of mine. One was that it helped me to understand certain aspects of the Hindu culture and how they intersected with spiritual beliefs. For example, the practice of vegetarianism in Hindu society stems from the belief that God exists in all beings, so people should not kill animals. Another aspect of the book that I enjoyed was the part about Hindu weddings and festivals. It was interesting to learn more about the beliefs and practices that were core to these celebrations.

My interest in the Hindu religion and culture was sparked when I visited Bali, and I became curious about the Hindu ceremonies, artwork, and beautiful temples that I saw while there. I noticed that many people put a daily offering of rice on a banana leaf and left it in front of their house or shop. I was interested in learning more about the significance of this practice and other aspects of Hindu culture. By reading this book, Dr. Badlani answered many of the questions that I had. I mention this because I believe this book can be enjoyed by those who are non-religious or who practice other religions.

I have no criticisms of this masterful book. It’s perfectly written. The book’s editing is exceptional. Dr. Badlani created an excellent reference source that will be enjoyed for years to come. For those reasons, I rate it 4 out of 4 stars.

There are several possible audiences for Hinduism. Those who practice this religion, or who are intrigued about learning more about it for their spiritual practices will appreciate having this book as a resource. Additionally, anyone who is curious about the topic from an intellectual or cultural standpoint would also find it to be interesting and valuable. As I mentioned, this was the case for me. I highly recommend it to readers who have an interest in the Hindu religion and culture.

Hinduism
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
WriteOn
Currently Reading: Wild World
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-writeon.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by WriteOn »

]Dr. Badlani demonstrated a unique talent for distilling a comprehensive subject into short, digestible chapters. The book is very well-organized.

It looks like great learning material, well structured with in-depth knowledge. Your review was great to read, I learnt some facts from it and it made me want to find out more. Thank you.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”