Review of Bluewater Walkabout

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ceeco2002
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ceeco2002.html
Latest Review: Rebuilt Recovery - Complete Series by Heather L Phipps

Review of Bluewater Walkabout

Post by Ceeco2002 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Bluewater Walkabout" by Tina Dreffin.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Bluewater Walkabout is an inspirational account of Tina Dreffin's sailing journey around the world. Tina and her husband, Peter, embark on a wild adventure into Africa while raising and homeschooling their two teenage sons. They travel to South Africa to buy a catamaran, from where they sail across the Atlantic Ocean. What Tina expects to be a fun and smooth journey turns out to be a dangerous journey for her and her family. Tina writes about the various problems and difficulties they face while on their journey. She also describes their encounters with both marine and land animals. While dealing with the challenges that arise during her journey, Tina battles with the demons of her past, which was filled with sexual trauma and grief. 

There was really so much to love about this book. First of all, I'd like to commend the author's descriptive talent in writing. Tina told her story in such a vivid way that it was easy for me to imagine and relate to the events she described. She conveyed the scenes in a way that would keep the reader hooked and touched by her story. I really admired her strength in overcoming the challenges that awaited her along the way, as well as the traumas of her past.

Another thing I enjoyed about this book was the author's candid and easy-to-understand writing style. At no point was I confused or disturbed by the author's writing style while reading this book. Tina's literary prowess made me feel like I was with her and her family throughout their journey, feeling their joys, their fears, their excitements, and their sufferings, all at the same time. I laughed and smiled so many times while reading this book because Tina infused a lot of fun and humor into her story. I also learned so much from her story. I learned about diverse land and sea animals, the customs and way of life of the locals in the various places she visited, and vital survival tips when going on adventures. This memoir wasn't just about Tina's journey around the world, but also about significant themes, such as the struggles of being a mother, mental illness, and sexual abuse.

The only thing I disliked about this book was that I wasn't quite satisfied with the ending. It felt rather abrupt to me and left me yearning for more. I only found a few errors while reading, which did not detract from my enjoyment of the book. This proves that it was professionally edited.

I give Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin a perfect 4 out of 4 stars rating because I thoroughly enjoyed every aspect of it. I recommend this book to people interested in sailing, family adventures, and travel memoirs. They will find this wonderful memoir entertaining, insightful, and informative.

Bluewater Walkabout
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Precious Amarachi Nzeakor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-precious-amarachi-nzeakor.html
Latest Review: Words of Wisdom: INSPIRING QUOTES for Everyone by Sharef Flounoy

Post by Precious Amarachi Nzeakor »

I've read a lot of good reviews of Bluewater Walkabout and I can't wait to get my hands on this book too. It'd be great to learn about their sailing adventures all over the world and share their experiences.
Harty Muli
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harty-muli.html
Latest Review: Singularity by Jayme A. Oliveira Filho

Post by Harty Muli »

Quite an inspiring memoir from the author. I see the book being relevant to someone looking for ways to manage change. Thanks for a great review.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

Isn't a walkabout a solo endeavor? Anyway, I know about taking trips with boys and that had to have added to the adventure.
Laney K
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laney-k.html
Latest Review: One If by Carol B Allen
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 44%

Post by Laney K »

A candid voice often makes for an excellent story. This seems like quite the well-written book.
Ekezie1998
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekezie1998.html
Latest Review: life lessons of wayne by shawn wayne swearingen

Post by Ekezie1998 »

An inspirational account of Tina Dreffin's sailing journey around the world. This book piques my curiosity and makes me want to go on an adventure. Would definitely love to pick this book.
Prosper2000
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prosper2000.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Prosper2000 »

Tina told her story in such a vivid way that it was easy for me to imagine and relate to the events she described. This line alone makes me eager to read this book. Great review.
Ilze Herholdt
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Salt of the Earth
Currently Reading: It Strikes Again
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ilze-herholdt.html
Latest Review: Healing Wounds of the Soul by Elizabeth Campos

Post by Ilze Herholdt »

Being a South African I was mesmerized by Tina and her family's crazed adventures to venture arount the atlantic ocean. Such a beautiful memoir.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”