Review of The Thundering Herd

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Martin Skinn3r
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-martin-skinn3r.html
Latest Review: American Dream? by Jeoung Lee

Review of The Thundering Herd

Post by Martin Skinn3r »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Thundering Herd" by John E. Peltier.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Morden America was created by European settlers. This is a fact. They had to steal and kill to obtain the land, but this is how the so-called "greatest country on Earth" came to be. John E. Peltier, like many Americans of his generation, was a child of first or second generation Americans with lineages from Europe. Both France and Scotland were his ancestral lands. France was home to his father's side of his ancestral heritage, and Scotland was home to his mother's side of ancestry. Both these families would settle in different parts of a young America, and they would establish themselves in the trades of the day to make a living. The Thundering Herd is a historical book that seeks to document a family's lineage through the eyes of one man.

By historical, I mean that this book was meticulously crafted to track the exact time the author's bloodline landed in North America and how they trekked and settled in different parts of the country. It is quite astonishing how far people will travel to find a better life. It may be an easier journey in today's world of technology, but it was mighty difficult in the days of old.

John E. Peltier was from a big family of twelve children. He grew up on a farm, which is the source of some of the most entertaining stories in this book. The man grew up castrating bulls and killing snakes as a constant occurrence. If that isn't enough to be interesting, then I have no idea what else can be. I haven't known anyone who has castrated a bull in my life.

His time in the Vietnam War also takes a significant chunk of pages and delivers much fun and horror. It seems like a lot of Vietnam War veterans have had books written about their time there, and I wish that this book could have spent more time speaking on that experience. It is interesting reading all these different perspectives on a single event of human history.

I loved all parts of this book. The pictures were also a little nice touch. There's absolutely nothing negative to write about it. The editing wasn't bad either, and so I see no reason to deduct any stars from my rating. I will give this book a perfect 4 out of 4 stars.

I would recommend it to men and women from the ages of about 30 years and older. It just seems like something that would click best with older readers than younger ones.

The Thundering Herd
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”