Review of The Counterfeit Climax

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
SarahAlligator20
Currently Reading: The Vine Witch
Bookshelf Size: 174
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahalligator20.html
Latest Review: The Counterfeit Climax by Dave & Ashley Willis

Review of The Counterfeit Climax

Post by SarahAlligator20 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Counterfeit Climax" by Dave & Ashley Willis.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Counterfeit Climax: Confronting the Issues That Sabotage Sex, Romance and Relationships, written by Dave and Ashley Willis, is a Christian relationship guide. In it, the co-authors, a couple married for nearly twenty years, defines counterfeit climaxes—lies and myths about relationships that cause them to fail. Sex is God’s gift to us and a crucial part of what makes relationships work. It is often misused and not understood, though, causing strife in romances. The couple picks apart what brings on divorce and separation, advising readers to recommit to their marriages in accordance with God’s design for them, doing away with the modern-day ideologies surrounding sex, romance, and relationships. Using their own stories, as well as messages from their listeners and some of their friends, they paint a picture of what to do and not to do with your spouse.

Dave and Ashley run parallels between different couples, listeners, friends, and others, who have had or are having difficulties in their relationships, to relay their lesson. To add to that, for each of the nine chapters, questions to consider are posed to readers, facilitating engagement and interactivity. Some nonfiction books have a lot of information to relay, taking from a number of sources. References normally comprise a significant portion of the book as a consequence, making it seem as though filler content eclipses the actual substantive parts of the book. I didn’t get this from The Counterfeit Climax at all—the footnotes were cut down to a minimum and used only where relevant—which I really appreciated.

Another selling point of The Counterfeit Climax is how well edited it was, having very little errors. This made me believe that the book has been professionally edited. Along that same vein, the writing got slightly humorous at times. This was mostly visible in Dave’s narrative, especially with respect to one memorable hospital visit.

This book is strongly religious, having footholds in Christian beliefs. It is aimed at Christ followers, specifically those who are married. I found this made for a sort of exclusivity to permeate the book, so it won’t apply to a large audience. This was partly offset by how relatable some of the stories seemed, but I do believe making room for a larger target audience would not have been remiss.

One thing that I took issue with in the book was how it seemed to reduce the fabric of relationships to the sexual aspects of it. The authors make a disclaimer that this is not their intention; however, much of the content is inarguably focused on how to better one’s sex life for a more successful marriage. It’s even strongly hinted at in the title of the book. When it came on to things like communication and consistency, it nearly always circled back to the topic of sex, which was rather disappointing.

Continuing with the negatives, as this is a two-author book, there were two different narrators for different parts within it. Dave’s and Ashley’s voices are identified when they put their names, bracketed, in a paragraph. Sometimes, it’s clear who is speaking. Other times, readers are left to guess. The chapters didn’t belong, for lack of a better word, to any one of the two authors; indicating who was speaking at all times would have introduced a bit more clarity, though.

The Counterfeit Climax gets a rating of three out of four stars. While informative and with points worth considering, this book doesn’t cater to a wide audience, gets confusing at times with regard to pinpointing narrative voice, and somewhat implies the bare bones of a relationship don’t extend beyond a sexual element, warranting one star less than a full score. It is remarkably well written, as well, so readers with a preference for Christian-based self-help books, particularly as it has to do with improving one’s relationship, would find this book a suitable read.

The Counterfeit Climax
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Amy Luman
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 573
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Shadow: The Moonracer Chronicles by T. August Green
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I have seen many books written on this topic and they all make me uncomfortable. I believe it's the focus on sex as the most important aspect of a marriage. While it is important, it's no more so, than say, financial issues.
Profeddy05
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-profeddy05.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Profeddy05 »

There is no easy way to write a book on marital issues. However I believe this book would be good for struggling relationships.
Akinola John
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akinola-john.html
Latest Review: Remarkably Intact by Celia Belt

Post by Akinola John »

This book address issues that bring about divorce among couples and how they can recommit to their marriage. The co-author also talks about how couples can use sex according to God's will. Thanks for the great review.
Lawrence+2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lawrence-2.html
Latest Review: Lucky by Spare Time Novels

Post by Lawrence+2 »

Nice book for Christian dating. Most people don't understand the spiritual aspect of sex. Nice review.
Daniel Jatto 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
2022 Reading Goal: 24
2022 Goal Completion: 8%

Post by Daniel Jatto 1 »

This book seems to offer a Christian perspective on sex in marriages. I am turned off by the restrictions it seems to impose on couples about what and what not to do because I think sex should be explored freely, to see what satisfies each party. Nonetheless, it seems like a good book for those in the faith.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”