Review of Tre's Story

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cher432
Currently Reading: The Banned Book about Love
Bookshelf Size: 189
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cher432.html
Latest Review: Launch by D. W. Tate
2022 Reading Goal: 10
2022 Goal Completion: 310%

Review of Tre's Story

Post by Cher432 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Tre's Story" by Anna M. Penn.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

There are no words to describe a parent who has lost a child. The depth of grief that comes with the loss of a child is indescribable. But how does life go on after that? This book tries to make sense of it all. Tre’s Story by Anna M. Penn is about the death of the author's unborn grandson. In the book, we get to witness her family mourning Tre's death and relying on their faith to move on. Their belief that Tre is an angel in heaven looking after them keeps them going strong and is a source of comfort for the family. The author's family's challenges and triumphs are documented in this account.

I thought the decision to write the story from Tre's point of view was brilliant. Tre's point of view was used to give the idea that he was a vital member of the family. He was right in the heart of the family's drama, demonstrating that he wasn't forgotten. Tre's friendship with Lambchop, his cousin, was endearing. He was wonderful as her guardian angel, and he did an outstanding job. He was present for her at all times and took his work very seriously.

I loved how Tre was portrayed as a compassionate character who is there for his family even in death. It was a pleasure learning more about his family through his observations of them. There was so much love packed into the pages that I was honestly tearing up a bit. The warmth conveyed by the author was wonderful and it showed a family that loved and cared for one another. Getting a glimpse into this family's lives was fascinating, and I thoroughly appreciated their interactions.

One aspect of the book that I did not care for was how preachy it was. The author seems to be utilizing the book as a proverbial soapbox from which to preach her opinions to the readers. However, in the grand scheme of things, this was a minor flaw, as I generally appreciated the book.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars because it was a good attempt at demonstrating how people cope with bereavement and move on with their lives. This book provided an excellent illustration of how to find the positive in any situation, no matter how horrible it may be. However, my enjoyment of the book was hampered by several typos and grammatical errors. I would suggest that it goes through another round of editing to iron out the kinks. I would recommend this book to anyone who has lost a child, especially an infant. It is an insightful read on how to cope with loss.

Tre's Story
View: on Bookshelves
Latest Review: Launch by D. W. Tate
damis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-damis.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by damis »

Oh my heart ached just to read the description. Loss is never easy to cope with. Thanks for the wonderful review!
Kyrian007
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by Kyrian007 »

The loss of a child can be heartbreaking and painful. This seems to be an interesting tragic novel. Nice review but paragraphs 2 and 3 are a little bit confusing to me, I guess I will have to read the book so I can understand it much better.
Profeddy05
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-profeddy05.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Profeddy05 »

I truly sympathize with the author. I will make sure to read this book. Great review.
Lori Kansy
Currently Reading: 422:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reading Device: B071KGVXVS
2022 Reading Goal: 11
2022 Goal Completion: 118%

Post by Lori Kansy »

Maybe preaching to one is simply sharing for another.
Uwe Neufeld
Favorite Author: Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Favorite Book: Treasure Island
Currently Reading: The Maestro Monologue
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uwe-neufeld.html
Latest Review: Living in Color by Mike Murphy
fav_author_id: 3039
2022 Reading Goal: 20
2022 Goal Completion: 110%

Post by Uwe Neufeld »

Preaching is not the right way to convey a message if you are out to involve the reader. There are more subtle ways such as telling the story in an interesting manner.
TrulyLady
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by TrulyLady »

The way that you worded your review was awesome and so in depth. Lost is so hard to deal with no matter what kind it is. I really felt your words as I read it was like I read the book on my on. Thanks

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”