Review of Inside the Mind of a Cancer Patient

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Buch1-Dm
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-buch1-dm.html
Latest Review: Inside the Mind of a Cancer Patient by R.J. Windham

Review of Inside the Mind of a Cancer Patient

Post by Buch1-Dm »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Inside the Mind of a Cancer Patient" by R.J. Windham.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Inside The Mind of a Cancer Patient is R. J. Windham's memoir. He chronicles his journey and adventure going through and surviving prostate cancer. He had grown up in a large family and was nurtured by his grandmother and her seven daughters. He had two near-death experiences; the first was when he was five and was hit by a hit-and-run driver, while the other was when he was twenty-six and survived a bomb blast in a train station. He thought that was all till he was diagnosed with prostate cancer. He had great support from his wife, Jill. He had to undergo Robotic Assisted Radical Prostatectomy (RARP) surgery and felt that was the end, but the future had more in store for him.

It takes courage to put down on paper such a journey as this, and I applaud the author's courage. I like his use of words in describing the events and his emotions. They captured every bit of it and relayed it wonderfully to the reader. The words of advice he added randomly would aid cancer patients and survivors, especially those with prostate cancer. The arrangement of this memoir was top-notch; R. J. Windham commenced it with his childhood experience, then progressed to his initial two near-death experiences, and it moved systematically to when and how he was diagnosed with cancer, then the rough road to recovery. He also included a website that would help the partners and caregivers of cancer patients and survivors, giving them extremely helpful tips.

I did not quite appreciate the technicality of this book. Many readers who are not medical practitioners, health care officials, or not acquainted with medical terms might find it a bit complex. Those medical terms should have been explained better for the readers to understand and appreciate the work. The words 'prostate cancer' might not be very well understood by some readers as they might not know how it occurs, thereby leaving them in the dark. Such big terms were also used when discussing procedures and surgeries. A better explanation would help in further enlightening the reader.

I would give this book a rating of 3 out of 4 stars. There were no grammatical errors, which is proof that it was exceptionally well edited. Also, the arrangement was chronologically done. The deducted star was as a result of the technicality I already wrote about in the previous paragraph.

Inside The Mind of a Cancer Patient is recommended to cancer survivors, those currently battling the disease and who feel that they are alone. This book will ignite a desire to fight and survive; it will serve as a companion on bleak days. Furthermore, it is for the partners and caregivers of these patients who also go through a lot trying to remain strong while caring for their loved ones. Note that everyone is different and might not experience similar symptoms as the author, so always consult your doctor when you notice anything.

Inside the Mind of a Cancer Patient
View: on Bookshelves
Peace10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peace10.html
Latest Review: The Parrot's Perch by Karen Keilt

Post by Peace10 »

I admire the author’s courage and resilience. Thanks for a great review!
Ruthwriter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruthwriter.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Ruthwriter »

Life is hard but one must be harder to overcome the difficulty.thanks for this review.
Kelvin Onyango 1
Favorite Book: The Arrow That Flies By Day
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reading Device: 1400697484
2022 Reading Goal: 25
2022 Goal Completion: 8%

Post by Kelvin Onyango 1 »

The description of the story is quite good as he described how the person with cancer survived from two incidents very well and in an understanding manner which I have appreciated it so much, congratulations to the reviewer's creativity
julietmumbua23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julietmumbua23.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by julietmumbua23 »

I cannot fathom what being a cancer patient feels like. Great review.
Mrs D O
Currently Reading: Man Mission
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrs-d-o.html
Latest Review: The First Time Father by Thomas Alfie

Post by Mrs D O »

It takes courage to put down on paper such a journey as this, and I applaud the author's courage. I like his use of words in describing the events and his emotions. They captured every bit of it and relayed it wonderfully to the reader. The words of advice he added randomly would aid cancer patients and survivors, especially those with prostate cancer.
I think your review captured the authors intention and gave crucial information. I appreciate your concern about technical content that is difficult for most people to understand. I hope that at least it will encourage readers to consult prostate cancer websites for clearer information. Publications that raise awareness and encourage men to forget the embarrassment and have a prostate check are vital. Thanks for a great review, it is well considered and shows compassion towards those dealing with cancer.
Nwankwo GC
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwankwo-gc.html
Latest Review: Communist Shaping Operations in the US by Timothy Trull

Post by Nwankwo GC »

R. J Windham's story will offer great hope to people going through a similar experience around the world. I applaud the author's bravery to document his experiences.
Richard Azubike
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-richard-azubike.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Richard Azubike »

People living with cancer need to be encouraged because they go through a lot of trauma. Cancer patients must read this book.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”