Review of Grief Talk Revolution

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ngozi Onyibor
Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Sugar & Spice
Currently Reading: The Wizard of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ngozi-onyibor.html
Latest Review: The Man In the cafe by Michael J Pilkington

Review of Grief Talk Revolution

Post by Ngozi Onyibor »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Grief Talk Revolution" by Dora Carpenter.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Death is an immutable part of life, yet people shy away from talking about it. Our society treats death like a plague that will befall anyone who dares to mention its name. As a result, few people know how to cope with the emotions of losing someone they loved or how to support a grieving person properly. In Grief Talk Revolution: It's Time to Talk About the Elephant in the Room, Dora Carpenter pours her years of experience working in the death care industry and the knowledge gained from her work as a certified grief coach into the book to provide her readers with practical suggestions, tools, and resources to lighten and shorten the grieving process.

One of my favorite features of the book is how short and punchy it is. Dora doesn't waste words on filler sentences. Her words are straight to the point and effectively convey her message. Instead of chapters, the book has bite-sized topics on various facets of grief. I like the structure, as it's easy for a reader to go back and read up on specific interest areas.

The author's openness is another appealing quality that I liked. She is honest about the limitations of her work as a grief coach and acknowledges that her book is not a cure for grief or a replacement for therapy or other forms of professional help. I appreciate the disclaimer because it helps to manage a reader's expectations.

Besides those who have suffered loss, I like that the book also includes helpful tips for supporting the bereaved, including how to help, what to say, and what not to say as well as just extending grace to them and letting them grieve as they wish. I have been in situations where I didn't know what to say to a grieving person. I like the practical suggestions Dora proffered for navigating such circumstances.

Overall, I rate the book 4 out of 4 stars. It is incredibly educational, and the editing is immaculate. I have absolutely no qualms about any aspect of it.

Even though death is viewed as a taboo topic, I believe it is a subject more people should get comfortable talking about. Not talking about it will not make it go away. Therefore, I think everyone should own a copy of the book. It's a good starting point for anyone who wants to learn how to cope with grief more effectively or those that want to learn how to navigate the tricky world of supporting a grieving person.

Grief Talk Revolution
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Peace10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peace10.html
Latest Review: Jurisdiction Denied by Jack Gold and Marc Debbaudt

Post by Peace10 »

Lol. I don’t think the sound of the word ‘death’ is one a person will like to hear, no matter what.
WriteOn
Currently Reading: Wild World
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-writeon.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by WriteOn »

Even though death is viewed as a taboo topic, I believe it is a subject more people should get comfortable talking about. Not talking about it will not make it go away.

Thank you for such an insightful review of this book Michelle Fred. It seems the book contains some very pertinent advice about grieving in a well structured form. The information you gave about the author reassured me that she is honestly expressing her own tried and tested, invaluable experience.
Marvel+123
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Marvel+123 »

Death is something that I with us but most people are afraid to talk about it. Nice review.
Azubike Richard
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azubike-richard.html
Latest Review: Love and Resistance by Marie J. Mond

Post by Azubike Richard »

Most people are afraid of dead, including me. Many think there is a life after death. Thank you for your review. Very educative book

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”