Review of The Invisible Hiker

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Christieee
Currently Reading: Lingering Poets
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christieee.html
Latest Review: Mr. Prosecutor by Terry jones

Review of The Invisible Hiker

Post by Christieee »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Invisible Hiker" by Kira Harland.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Sometimes people have invisible pain and go through things that nobody else can see. We can choose to let our pain hinder us, or we can push forward while acknowledging them; this is the overarching lesson of Kira’s story in The Invisible Hiker. Kira gets inspiration from her father to hike the JMT (John Muir Trail) and immediately informs him of her plan. Owing to a budding relationship, she also invites Melissa, her cousin. Just before the hike, Kira suffers from a stomach parasite in Guatemala, which exacerbates her already bad IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome).

Despite the bad news, Kira decides to move ahead with the hike. She thinks that being out in nature will cure her of the IBS. What she soon finds out is how wrong she is! While on the hike, Kira gets so many IBS flare-ups that cause her intense abdominal pain, make her take countless toilet breaks, and ruin her mood. Kira soon starts to think that she might not be able to make it to the end of the trail. Does she have what it takes to surmount her issues and achieve her goal of finishing the hike?

My favorite part of this book is that Kira Harland, the author, does not include any false motivation. She does not play the condescending heroine that grits her teeth to “just do it.” Kira struggles with IBS and constant worry over having to quit what she wanted to achieve; she tries to savor each moment despite her pain. I loved that Kira showed that it's okay to be human. I appreciated the author’s easygoing tone because it was void of false bravado and toxic positivity. Readers who want a relatable read will enjoy this aspect of The Invisible Hiker. Readers who enjoy tales of real-life adventures will like this book as well.

The author wrote in journal entries. But instead of her writing seeming overly personal and like actual journal entries, she used a first-person narrative style and occasional dialogue. I appreciated this expert editing decision because it allows readers to experience the hike more vividly without sifting through what would have been a personal diary that may not have made much of an impact. The dialogues allowed me to envision scenes between Kira, Melissa, John, and other characters without any hassle. There was no mind-blowing thrill, but some scenes left my heart in my mouth, especially where John slips and almost drowns!

I enjoyed the easy flow of this book and the profound lesson of living in the moment despite any pain or discomfort. But I must say that the book tended to drone on. The hikers did not do many memorable things, nor were they in intense danger that would have had me glued to the book. Instead, Kira narrated a lot of her IBS episodes. Consequently, she explicitly narrated scenes of herself pooping, which I considered too much information. While pooping is a natural phenomenon, I soon got bored with having to read about it so many times. John and Melissa also have their journal entries, but they have no distinct voices. Because of the book’s repetitiveness in this regard and the lack of thrill, I have to rate it 3 out of 4. I removed no other stars because everything else is on point.

The Invisible Hiker
View: on Bookshelves
Peace10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peace10.html
Latest Review: The Parrot's Perch by Karen Keilt

Post by Peace10 »

I love the storyline of this story. It’s okay to be human. It’s okay to feel pains. It’s okay to go through challenges. Your mindset determines it all.
Amy Luman
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 580
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Shadow: The Moonracer Chronicles by T. August Green
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I truly appreciate Kira's determination. I'm trying to do more of the "enjoying every moment" and less of the "grit your teeth", but it's harder than you think.
Richard Azubike
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-richard-azubike.html
Latest Review: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings by Mike L Junior

Post by Richard Azubike »

Human beings go through a lot of challenges and we must not insult people because of their current situation.
Uwe Neufeld
Favorite Author: Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Favorite Book: Treasure Island
Currently Reading: The Maestro Monologue
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uwe-neufeld.html
Latest Review: Living in Color by Mike Murphy
fav_author_id: 3039
2022 Reading Goal: 20
2022 Goal Completion: 110%

Post by Uwe Neufeld »

I would like to know where the hiking took place. Although it seems a somewhat boring read, the title and also the cover are quite appealing.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”