Review of The Splendour of a Tear

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Pencrafter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pencrafter.html
Latest Review: Broken Wings by Marjorie Glider

Review of The Splendour of a Tear

Post by Pencrafter »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Splendour of a Tear" by Bridget Bonner.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Splendour of a Tear: Hope House Peru by Bridget Bonner is a story that journals the experiences of Bridget Bonner, an Australian citizen who takes up a voluntary job as a house mother to a group of girls in a refuge house in Peru. Even though her life isn't perfect, she abandons the life she knows and goes off to a foreign country to cater to these abandoned kids.

Before she took up the house mother job, Bridget had taken up a volunteer job as a nurse in Quito, Ecuador, where she witnessed the poverty in which the people live. She sympathizes with them and does her best in the job. She eventually goes to Peru after her time as a nurse, and there, she comes into contact with Pastor Luis, the man who took the girls and sheltered them. The challenges she faced as a house mother and the difficulties she endured trying to raise the kids in the "Mad House" are the main focus. Will she maintain her sanity in a house filled with 23 needy girls? This book is an excellent read which details the experiences of a midwife turned house mother in a house filled with attention-starved children and with little or no help from Pastor Luis.

One of the positive aspects of this book is that it paints a picture of the poor standard of living which these people live. It also presents the harsh realities which exist in their world using very descriptive sentences and words. It presents not only the negative aspects but also the positives of living in Peru. Also, there was just one grammatical error in this book which shows that it has been proofread by an individual with a deep understanding of the English language. Another positive aspect is that it emphasizes on family not necessarily being blood-related but made up of people who love and care for you.

The only negative aspect of this book is that it made use of words that are difficult for the average person to understand. Words like 'rort' and 'awning' and many more are contained within the book. This makes reading a stressful process as one has to consult the dictionary to find out the meaning of these words.

I will rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I didn't give this book a higher rating due to the negative aspect mentioned above. I will recommend this book to all who are interested in traveling to the South American continent or those who want to learn more about the activities of missionaries.

The Splendour of a Tear
View: on Bookshelves
Richard Azubike
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-richard-azubike.html
Latest Review: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings by Mike L Junior

Post by Richard Azubike »

From what I heard south America is a very nice and good looking place. Thank you for your review
Rosa Joy
Currently Reading: Brutal Valor
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosa-joy.html
Latest Review: Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream by Dr Frank L Douglas
2022 Reading Goal: 24
2022 Goal Completion: 125%

Post by Rosa Joy »

I can identify with Bridget having to sacrifice every material things for the comfort of a needy person. The book is touching from the review.
Karen Perreras
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Karen Perreras »

It is glad to know that this kind of book exist, I hope everyone will reach this.
Mrs D O
Currently Reading: Man Mission
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrs-d-o.html
Latest Review: The First Time Father by Thomas Alfie

Post by Mrs D O »

I understood a lot about this book from your descriptive review. There's much I would like to know, so I think the book is well worth reading.
Another positive aspect is that it emphasizes on family not necessarily being blood-related but made up of people who love and care for you.

That gives me hope, I wonder if the author and the girls eventually felt like they were a family.
Thank you.
Akinola John
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akinola-john.html
Latest Review: Running the Sahara by Marcel Nickler

Post by Akinola John »

This is a story about how Bridget volunteered herself to serve as a house mother to a group of homeless girls. The book contains a lot of difficult words. I am glad you enjoyed reading this book. Thanks for the review.
Hamisha Bhana
Currently Reading: Snatched Up to Heaven for Kids
Bookshelf Size: 19
2022 Reading Goal: 2
2022 Goal Completion: 450%

Post by Hamisha Bhana »

Love this review. Encouraging to note this book exists. The title is so apt.

The book is very relevant in the current economic climate of the world for a dose of reality of how the other “half” lives in the world.
Kyrian007
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kyrian007.html
Latest Review: The White Coat Effect by L.B. Wells

Post by Kyrian007 »

The book The Splendour of a Tear: Hope House Peru by Bridget Bonner seems to be interesting and engaging. I look forward to finding time to read the book. Thank you for your wonderful review.
Yasmine M
Currently Reading: Tales from the Gray Area
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yasmine-m.html
Latest Review: That Guy What Kill Topsy by Peter Wood Cotterill
2022 Reading Goal: 50
2022 Goal Completion: 12%

Post by Yasmine M »

This is a beautiful story; people like Bridget Bonner who volunteer to help the more needy, bring back faith in Humanity. I would like to read the book and find out the impact of her efforts on the people she helped. Great review.
Lawrence+2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lawrence-2.html
Latest Review: Lucky by Spare Time Novels

Post by Lawrence+2 »

Nice review. I love stories that are more easily relatable to every day experience. Would definitely read this book someday.
Daniel Jatto 1
Currently Reading: The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniel-jatto-1.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon
2022 Reading Goal: 24
2022 Goal Completion: 12%

Post by Daniel Jatto 1 »

This book, from your review, seems like it'd be a good read. The presence of difficult words only makes it more alluring to readers who'd like to learn new words. Bridget's experience is a life-changing one, and her kindness and compassion speak for her, I am happy she found a family in those kids.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”