Review of Everyone is a Someone

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Tony Official
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tony-official.html
Latest Review: Treasure Found by Tim Grossi

Review of Everyone is a Someone

Post by Tony Official »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Everyone is a Someone" by Roy Murch & Robin Frost.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Everyone is a Someone: Featuring the 2020 Pandemic COVID-19 is a nonfictional biography and wellness book by Roy Murch and Robin Frost. It consists of 33 chapters divided into three volumes that feature a biography of Patricia and Tommy Moody, who are Robin's sister and brother in law respectively, as well as a collection of poems, stories, and essays that deal with depression, abuse, racial discrimination, and social reform.

The book begins with the story of Patricia Moody, who is born to a rather large family. From a young age, she falls victim to abuse from men who are supposed to be her father figures. Eventually, she meets and marries Tommy Moody, a Vietnam Veteran who falls prey to the effects of the deadly herbicide, Agent Orange.

The book also features literature that deals with issues faced by combat veterans like PTSD, depression, homelessness, and suicide. It also describes the events that occurred from the beginning of the pandemic up until the January 6th insurrection, as it was experienced by an army veteran.

The book has a lot of positives. The authors do not hold back when addressing social issues like race, police reform, and human trafficking. They do a great job of educating the reader on the facts surrounding every issue that is addressed in the book, then proceeding to give their educated option on what needs to be done. Also, the volume about Patricia and Tommy triggers an emotional response in the reader and offers solace to people who have suffered in similar ways. The poems in the book tackle a host of concepts like time, love, pain, and hope. Throughout its entirety, the use of simple, direct, and easy-to-understand vocabulary was maintained to convey the heavy messages contained in the book.

There are some negative aspects. The book feels overburdened. It attempts to serve as an anthology, a biography, and a collection of social commentary. The three volumes of the book lack a certain harmony in writing; as a result, they do not come across as different parts of a single book but as three different books altogether. I did find very few errors as it was professionally edited.

For the above reasons, I would deduct a star from my rating. I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. The negative aspects of the book do not take away the importance of its message that everyone is a someone; as a result, I cannot remove any more stars from my rating. I recommend this book to women in abusive relationships as well as people suffering from PTSD and depression in hopes that they find encouragement and solace.

Everyone is a Someone
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Richard Azubike
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-richard-azubike.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Richard Azubike »

I would like to read this book so I would be adding it to my book to read. Thank you for writing about it
Jen Nghishitende
Currently Reading: Wisdom
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jen-nghishitende.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi
2022 Reading Goal: 18
2022 Goal Completion: 111%

Post by Jen Nghishitende »

This sounds like a valuable book to read. All the themes reflected in it are so important and urgent, thanks for the review. The title is really catchy too!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”