Review of Nice People Finish First

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
JonesLeeh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jonesleeh.html
Latest Review: Destination Fierce: Moving from Fear to Fierce by Cathy Joy Hill

Review of Nice People Finish First

Post by JonesLeeh »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Nice People Finish First" by Paul Wright.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In Nice People Finish First, Paul Wright prompted me to think deeply. There is a myriad of topics under discussion, and among them is mental health. How many people are battling depression from the loss of jobs or grave illnesses like leukemia and lymphoma? How many have given up on life and committed suicide? A few months ago, I buried a close friend who had been battling colon cancer without my knowledge.

Paul discusses four chief principles: humility, appreciation, love, and forgiveness. Throughout the work, he initializes them as "H.A.L.F." He then includes a fifth principle— spirituality. Wright then dissects the principles and notes their benefits at an individual, relationship, and marriage level. In an instance, he talks about the power of listening and exploring the positives in others, whether spouses, friends, or one's children. The author includes citations of notable psychologists like B. F. Skinner. In addition, he lists some of his down moments: alcoholism, divorce, near bankruptcy, eviction, etc.

I loved that Paul was realistic and understanding while discussing sensitive issues. For instance, when it comes to particulars of marriage and couples, he did not side with one party. Instead, Wright talks about communication. He says that healthy communication is paramount to building a healthy relationship and marriage.

Further, I adored how he incorporated examples of his personal experiences and incidents of clients he has dealt with over the years. I enjoyed one instance about a couple who came to him for therapy. It then dawned on Paul that the issue with the duo was poor communication. The husband, Matt, barely looked into his wife's eyes while conversing. Not knowing the intensity of the words he sometimes used, when Matt looked into his wife's eyes and saw her crying, he improved his ways of dialogue, and things became better from then onward.

I picked this publication intending to gain knowledge and explore the words of an experienced psychotherapist. Oh boy! The work is immensely revolutionary! Moreover, Wright gives credit to books written by other authors. In other words, he is not a self-absorbed author.

I award the book 4 out of 4 stars because there was not a sole thing to despise. I only found a few grammatical errors, so it is well edited. The volume does not discriminate against religions. Instead, the author acknowledges Buddhists, Muslims, Christians, and atheists. If you're a reader looking to absorb knowledge on mental health and life skills, then I recommend this book.

Nice People Finish First
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Paully_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paully.html
Latest Review: The Arrow That Flies By Day by John Servant

Post by Paully_ »

They book touched a lot of important issues and subject matter. Anyone can a pick a lesson and learn something new from this wholesome book.
Seybi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by Seybi »

This book was written based on experience and life itself. I like the part about communication, which is very important in every relationship whether as friends or lovers. Readers would surely learn from this book.
Mrs D O
Currently Reading: Man Mission
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrs-d-o.html
Latest Review: The First Time Father by Thomas Alfie

Post by Mrs D O »

I think your review shows how much you fully appreciate this book and that it was enlightening. I was impressed with the details you gave and how you expressed your opinion of it. Thank you.
The volume does not discriminate against religions. Instead, the author acknowledges Buddhists, Muslims, Christians, and atheists. If you're a reader looking to absorb knowledge on mental health and life skills, then I recommend this book.
It's helpful to know the author strives to avoid religious bias, that aspect appeals to me.
Kyrian007
Currently Reading:

Post by Kyrian007 »

I felt uplifted after reading the review. I love self-help books like this because the solution to similar problems of the majority like depression and many more are always made available to the readers. Thanks for a wonderful review.
Chinenye Achilike
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinenye-achilike.html
Latest Review: The Arrow That Flies By Day by John Servant
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK
2022 Reading Goal: 6
2022 Goal Completion: 116%

Post by Chinenye Achilike »

I think this book will be a good read because it is based on Paul's real-life experiences and not just a theoretical aspect to life.
Profeddy05
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-profeddy05.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Profeddy05 »

I know a couple of people that would benefit from this book. Thank you for raising awareness. Great review!
Richard Azubike
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-richard-azubike.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Richard Azubike »

Paul's life experiences taught me many things about life. We as human must always take things step by step and avoid being faster than our shadow.
Gift Mazibuko
Favorite Author: Victoria Christopher Murray
Currently Reading: Snatched Up to Heaven!
Bookshelf Size: 18
fav_author_id: 27573
2022 Reading Goal: 20
2022 Goal Completion: 15%

Post by Gift Mazibuko »

The 4 chief principles and their benefits was the highlight for me and also teaching on mental health issues was a plus because many suffer in silence and are struggling and battling mental illness alone instead of seeking psychological help or principle number 5 which is spirituality. nice review
20123334BF
Currently Reading: The Maestro Monologue
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-20123334bf.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
2022 Reading Goal: 10
2022 Goal Completion: 50%

Post by 20123334BF »

I love self-help books especially ines that teach out of experience.i would love to read this book. Awesome review
Yasmine M
Currently Reading: Reconfigurement
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yasmine-m.html
Latest Review: That Guy What Kill Topsy by Peter Wood Cotterill
2022 Reading Goal: 50
2022 Goal Completion: 12%

Post by Yasmine M »

Thank you for the review. It is a very much needed self-help book in our modern world and I am intrigued on how the author approaches the 5 principles (H.A.L.F+ Spirituality). I can't wait to know more about his experiences and observations.
Daniel Jatto 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
2022 Reading Goal: 24
2022 Goal Completion: 8%

Post by Daniel Jatto 1 »

You have done an insightful review of the book. It sure looks like one to add to one's shelf.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”