Review of The Villains Who Snapped My Spine

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Raymond N
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raymond-n.html
Latest Review: Pati to existence, my courageous journey by Pateletso Mokgotle
2022 Reading Goal: 100
2022 Goal Completion: 70%

Review of The Villains Who Snapped My Spine

Post by Raymond N »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Villains Who Snapped My Spine" by A. H. Nazzareno.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Villains Who Snapped My Spine is a collection of the author's life experiences. A. H. Nazzareno suffered from severe back pain. At first, he didn't think of it as a serious ailment. He only took Advil, thinking that it might get better, but it kept getting worse. A lot of people suggested different ideas. Though he tried to follow them, nothing changed. Later on, Nazzareno and his wife, Michelle, visited a hospital, and it was found that he had myxopapillary ependymona, which some people also refer to as "slow spinal cord cancer". That was when the true enemy, his villain, hit him hard. Can he survive it? This was the question I was very eager to find an answer to as I flipped each page.

Honestly, this book reminded me of one of Steve Jobs' last words: "Material things lost can be found, but there's one thing that can be lost and never be found: life". The author and Steve Jobs shared a similar sickness, and they also understood what was important in life. One may never know how short life is until a terrible event happens.

I liked the way the author wrote this book. Nazzareno's use of figures of speech and humor didn't fail to keep me in a light mood. Even when I felt that the author was passing through a lot, I was still happy to keep reading. It was amazing to read about how he handled his villains. I also loved the relationship that Nazzareno had with his best friend, who later became his wife after a decade of dating. I admire how he praised her in his writing and how he loved and respected her. Their marriage was outstanding. Michelle was a lovely woman who stood for her husband through thick and thin. The author's mind was like another world; I admired how he thought about every single event that had happened to him, and I believe that anyone can learn from them. Seeing the author refer to the challenges he faced as "villains" was interesting. Truly, they were.

There's hardly anything to dislike about this book. I came across something that seemed like a repetition, but it did not affect my reading experience. This book was perfectly edited, as I did not encounter errors while reading it. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars because it deserves nothing less than a perfect rating. There was a lot to learn from the author's life experience.

I recommend this book to young teenagers and anyone suffering from any disease, especially cancer. This book could be a great motivation to readers dealing with "villains"; it contains a lot of life lessons.

The Villains Who Snapped My Spine
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
mutumafrank
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mutumafrank.html
Latest Review: ABM is B2B. by Sangram Vajre

Post by mutumafrank »

I loved your review. Its always interesting read a book that has actually experiences. Am adding this book to my shelf
Faiso
Currently Reading: A Dream for Peace
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faiso.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Faiso »

what a coincidence! I am currently reading an autobiography and I've picked up ideas on how to write my review. Well done for this wonderful review
Kavita Shah
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Tales from the Gray Area by Curtis Stephen Burdick
2022 Reading Goal: 60
2022 Goal Completion: 13%

Post by Kavita Shah »

The title is eerie and eye-catching. Something lost but never found: life, it's a great quote. Thank you for a wonderful review and it sounds like a nice book to read.
Amzes17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amzes17.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Amzes17 »

Truly, one may never know how short life is until we are forced to acknowledge the little time we have left. As you did not give away whether or not the writer survived this ordeal, I'll have to find out for myself.
Elenimo Chembe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elenimo-chembe.html
Latest Review: Wilderness Cry by Hilary L Hunt M.D.

Post by Elenimo Chembe »

The life of. Nazzareno seems to be extraordinary and sombre. I like that the author infused some humour into the narrative. Thanks for the review.
Sarah Sonbol
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-sonbol.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Sarah Sonbol »

"One may never know how short life is until a terrible event happens". I totally agree with that. Your review is wonderful and it would be great to read this book. I also think that the book' title is really catchy.
Uwe Neufeld
Favorite Author: Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Favorite Book: Treasure Island
Currently Reading: The Maestro Monologue
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uwe-neufeld.html
Latest Review: Living in Color by Mike Murphy
fav_author_id: 3039
2022 Reading Goal: 20
2022 Goal Completion: 110%

Post by Uwe Neufeld »

I love books of courages people who fight a deadly desease. It gives me hope that I also can overcome my obstacles. And it makes me thankfull for having a healthy body. Nice review!
Stizzy Monday
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stizzy-monday.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Stizzy Monday »

You've written a wonderful review with a good summary! I'd like to read this book to learn about the tragic accident and the powers behind it. Can't wait to read this book. Thank you for the review.
Beebar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beebar.html
Latest Review: Final Act by Van Fleisher

Post by Beebar »

I totally enjoyed reading your review. This review has piqued my interest, and I look forward to reading this book and finding out more details for myself. Thank you for the honest feedback.
Latest
Favour Ojonugwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-favour-ojonugwa.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Favour Ojonugwa »

I adore reading books about brave individuals who battle fatal diseases. It gives me hope that I can likewise get beyond my challenges. And it makes me grateful that my body is in good shape. good review
diana lowery
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Midnight Library
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: Dinosaur on an Island by Walter Mc Auliffe
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
2022 Reading Goal: 50
2022 Goal Completion: 46%

Post by diana lowery »

The title of the book caught my attention, and I was surprised to learn the subject matter was cancer. I enjoyed your honest review and learned a lot from the information you provided.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”