Review of The Adventures of Mr. Brightside

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Saint Bruno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Review of The Adventures of Mr. Brightside

Post by Saint Bruno »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Adventures of Mr. Brightside" by Ryan Jacobson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Since envy is not a good virtue, I'd rather say that I wish I were the one on the beautiful travel adventures the author enjoyed in this book. This book, The Adventures of Mr. Brightside by Ryan Jacobson, has rekindled my dream of traveling the world.

Mr. Jacobson, a middle school English teacher, has been to over 38 countries. In the adventures covered in this book, he travels to 12 countries and spends 12 days in each country. Mr. Jacobson calls this project Venture Twelve. In the twelve days he spends in each country, he spends the first four days on a low budget, the next four days on a moderate budget in a different city, and the final four days on a luxury budget. The author takes the reader on an intriguing journey through countries as he shares his adventures.

As I read through the pages of this book, I started to beg my brain to please provide the befitting adjectives and wordings to accurately express how much I enjoyed reading it in my review. I fear that anyone who reads this review and then reads the book might feel as if I could have said more, especially if they nearly skipped it. Hence, if I manage to express half of how much I enjoyed reading this book in this review, I am sure any reader who loves traveling and exploring new places will thank me for recommending this title.

My favorite aspect of this book is the author's captivating writing style. There wasn't any part of the book that made me want to skip a few pages. His excellent use of figures of speech, like hyperbole and simile, makes his narrations fascinating. Describing how loud an air hostess talked, the author writes, "'Cusquena Negra, Si,' screamed the flight attendant, loud enough for the people still waiting in the airport to hear." The aura of suspense throughout the narrations wouldn't let me put the book down until I finished a particular chapter. The author's descriptions of the environment, food, and people in the places he visited are praiseworthy, as they made me feel I was there with him. I thoroughly enjoyed how the author always found a way to intertwine his opening and closing remarks for every adventure he shared.

Furthermore, the author's sense of humor makes his writing even more charming. I felt like an awful person as I laughed at some of his misfortunes. But I think he deliberately intends to make the reader crack a rib from his funny narrations. I couldn't help but wonder how awesome it would be to enjoy the author's company. Also, I found his narrations inspiring and appreciated the themes of resilience, bravery, friendship, and kindness, which personally ministered to me.

Another aspect of this book worth appreciating is that it could inspire any prospective traveler with ideas on places to visit. Also, adorning the author's hilarious narrations are tips and advice on what to do in some locations and how to enjoy a travel adventure.

I think it already shows that I thoroughly enjoyed this book. However, my reading experience wasn't all rosy, as I found some editing errors in the book. While some were distracting, I am happy they weren't enough to make the publication lose a star. And aside from that, there wasn't any other thing I disliked about the book. Hence, I gladly rate The Adventures of Mr. Brightside a perfect four out of four stars. I highly recommend this book to lovers of travel memoirs who don't mind profane words in books, especially those looking for inspiration for that dream of traveling the world.

The Adventures of Mr. Brightside
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Precious Amarachi Nzeakor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-precious-amarachi-nzeakor.html
Latest Review: Words of Wisdom: INSPIRING QUOTES for Everyone by Sharef Flounoy

Post by Precious Amarachi Nzeakor »

I once came across a post that said, "making a living by living life." What better way to leave life than to engage in travel adventures. Amazing review.
Elenimo Chembe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elenimo-chembe.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Elenimo Chembe »

I like the premise of the book - travelling and adventure are things I would like to do sometime and this book can give me a few ideas on how to go about it. Thanks for the review.
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

I would love to read this book! I like books based on travels and the humorous writing style makes it so much more appealing :) I'm glad that such a great book is well-edited. Thank you very much for this amazing review!
Kasun Perera
Currently Reading: Kalayla
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kasun-perera.html
Latest Review: The White Coat Effect by L.B. Wells

Post by Kasun Perera »

I love travelling and adventure. So I think I will like reading this book as well. Thank you for the detailed review.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

I am not much into adventure-related books. But your intriguing review made me think about my choices twice. Good job.
Uwe Neufeld
Favorite Author: Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Favorite Book: Treasure Island
Currently Reading: Reconfigurement
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uwe-neufeld.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel
fav_author_id: 3039

Post by Uwe Neufeld »

I thank the reviewer for his fine job. I like that the author found descriptive language for his adventures. Also tips and advice for prospect travelers are quite usefull.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”