Review of Secrets from the Hammock

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Melissa Jane
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: #InItTogether
Bookshelf Size: 170
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissa-jane.html
Latest Review: The Little Book For Big Transformations (2nd Edition) by Skip Jennings
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
2022 Reading Goal: 150
2022 Goal Completion: 17%

Review of Secrets from the Hammock

Post by Melissa Jane »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Secrets from the Hammock" by Dave Nassaney.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Through wisdom, we learn several things. However, most of the time, wisdom comes with age. For this reason, most people acquire wisdom when they are older; hence, sometimes, they regret the things they did when they were younger. What if you could acquire all the wisdom you need while still young? Won't that save you from the regrets you may have during your adult life? Through this book, Secrets from the Hammock (Book One): Uncommon Wisdom for Uncommon Times, the author, Dave Nassaney, teaches the readers the pearls of wisdom he learned over the years and not only how he learned about them but also how their application has impacted his life.

This book is divided into three sections. However, it's further subdivided into thirty-one chapters. Although it's mostly written from the first-person point of view, some texts are written from the second-person point of view. The author used both the past and the present tenses throughout the book.

As previously mentioned, this book is divided into three sections. The first section is titled "Mind Wisdom", the second section is titled " Body Wisdom ", and the last section is titled " Spirit Wisdom." Since this book is divided into several chapters and each covers a different topic, I'll only summarize the first two chapters.

The first chapter, "Change is Usually a Good Thing," talks about motive and how it affects one's success. The author shares his experience with motive and how he uses it to achieve his objectives. For instance, he imposes restrictions on his body whenever he fails to control some habits. He, for example, becomes a vegan for up to forty-eight hours whenever his weight surpasses a given limit. The second chapter, "The Power of Momentum," talks about the importance of acquiring momentum. The author notes that momentum can be both good and bad for you, depending on how you apply it. The author also narrates instances where momentum helped him, such as when his wife became paralyzed, and other instances where momentum wasn't advisable, such as when he fell off his hammock. The chapter ends with the author listing some secrets he learned about momentum.

I liked several things about this book. First, the author's pieces of advice are very practical and make a lot of sense. For instance, at some point in the book, the author notes that the motive of doing something is more important than the act. These kinds of wisdom made reading the book very enjoyable. Second, the author narrates his life story and gives examples using his life and the lives of his family and friends. He uses these examples to show how applicable these pieces of advice are and how he acquired them. Third, the story of the author's wife is very inspiring. Although paralyzed, his wife still enjoys helping others and carrying out some activities using just one hand. Since I didn't find any grammatical errors while reading, this book was exceptionally well-edited.

Although this is an inspiring book, I didn't like how the author handled spirituality. For instance, his stories implied that Christianity was the superior religion. While he may believe this, comparing religions may be a turnoff to many readers, including me. I believe everyone has the freedom to subscribe to their own beliefs. Implying that one religion is superior may result in unnecessary conflicts. This is the only reason why I won't be giving this book four stars.

In conclusion, this is a brilliant book full of wisdom. I enjoyed reading it. However, comparing religions and claiming one is superior was a complete turnoff. I, therefore, rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to anyone who enjoys reading about lessons derived from different experiences. Those who don't like comparing religions may not enjoy reading the last section of this book.

Secrets from the Hammock
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
No battle is ever won; they are not even fought. The field only reveals to man his own folly and
despair, and victory is an illusion of philosophers and fools.
:D

~ William Faulkner
Kavita Shah
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Tales from the Gray Area by Curtis Stephen Burdick
2022 Reading Goal: 60
2022 Goal Completion: 13%

Post by Kavita Shah »

Overall sounds like a treasure filled with unique wisdoms. Thank you for an informative review! Besides the superior religion aspect, it makes for a positive read.
damis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-damis.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by damis »

This is not my type of book to be honest. Thanks for the review though
Peace10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peace10.html
Latest Review: The Parrot's Perch by Karen Keilt

Post by Peace10 »

This is not the type of book I will read it. But the storyline seems captivating. In this life, there should be chances for experiences.
Uwe Neufeld
Favorite Author: Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Favorite Book: Treasure Island
Currently Reading: The Maestro Monologue
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uwe-neufeld.html
Latest Review: Living in Color by Mike Murphy
fav_author_id: 3039
2022 Reading Goal: 20
2022 Goal Completion: 110%

Post by Uwe Neufeld »

I'm glad the reviewer pointed out the question of one religion being superior over other religions. Thanks for this insightfull report.
Richard Azubike
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-richard-azubike.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Richard Azubike »

Wisdom in life don't depends on the age of the individual but the level of thinking of that person. Excellent

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”