Review of Broke Open

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
mmm17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmm17.html
Latest Review: Broke Open by Lela Becker

Review of Broke Open

Post by mmm17 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Broke Open" by Lela Becker.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Broke Open, written by Lela Becker, is a non-fiction title; it is written using the first person. Throughout the book, the author recounts her life story and how she overcame trauma and health issues.

The author was born in Florida in the 1970s. Her father was a poor kid from Philly that fell in love with a poor woman from West Virginia; they had four girls. Her dad was a happy young man when he got sentenced to thirty years in prison for selling marijuana in the 1980s, and this heartbreaking ordeal took a toll on the author, resulting in trauma and poor health. The book narrates how she searched for and found a cure for her issues.

I found both positive and negative aspects worth mentioning in this memoir. Starting with the positive, what I liked the most about it was the author’s narration of a life-changing trip she made to India. She took this trip as a last resort, a Hail Mary, to find a cure, and I appreciated how the author described her experiences. The author worked very hard to change her life, and I enjoyed reading about how she overcame so many obstacles. I particularly liked reading about how she graduated as a Practitioner of Ayurveda Therapy and found the confidence to write and publish articles.

On the other hand, speaking of negatives, I felt that the narrative was unnecessarily confusing and fragmented, especially when the author goes back and forth in time. Moreover, I felt that the timeline of her memories was not clear, and it was also repetitive. This aspect was what I disliked the most about the book. For instance, when she’s describing her first periods, the author briefly mentions that she later went through early menopause, but this topic isn’t addressed afterward.

Lastly, I rate this non-fiction book 3 out of 4 stars. It seems professionally edited, for I only found a few mistakes in it. I am taking a star away due to the negatives previously explained. Still, it is an inspiring, heartwarming story of hope and healing that I would recommend to readers who face similar challenges. If you don’t like non-linear narratives, you might want to skip this one. Prospective readers should also be aware that this book contains non-borderline profanity and references to drugs, which some readers may prefer to avoid. If you’re a sensitive reader, this is probably not the best book for you.

Broke Open
View: on Bookshelves
Peace10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peace10.html
Latest Review: Jurisdiction Denied by Jack Gold and Marc Debbaudt

Post by Peace10 »

I’m not a fan of memoirs so I’ll pass on this. Good job for a less complicated review!
Dami Bassam
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Dami Bassam »

We speak about a non-fiction book. The author describe clearly her life, she pass by many difficulties trauma health and how search for a cure. The author worked very Gard, the parents are pour and she try to survive and overcame these négative way. The author has positive& and negative situation, thé solution is to help to progress and avoid difficulties.
Dami Bassam
Currently Reading:

Post by Dami Bassam »

Mrs Lela Becker is from Florida,she do efforts to help his family but the trauma health disturbing her . We thank GOD , she pass this situation but she worked very hard to progress in her life.Many member of poor family find difficulties to leave in quality condition and they do all efforts to enjoy this difficulty life.
Sumto Nii
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sumto-nii.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by Sumto Nii »

I can relate firsthand the trauma the author had been through when her dad was convicted. I know she had found strength somewhere to face these fears and overcome them.
DavidBread

Post by DavidBread »

I find the idea of this book highly interesting especially because when Mrs. Lela Becker comes from Florida, she tries to help her family, but the accident upsets her. Let's say that fortunately, after a bit of sacrifice and suffering, she manages to go beyond what happened to her, in any case I find her strong in character and she tries to go beyond and forward. Many people from unfortunate families track down problems to leave in conditions of quality and make all efforts to take part in this difficult life.
Orji cyril Kaluokoro
Currently Reading: Photofinish
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by Orji cyril Kaluokoro »

Brooke Open is a non-fiction book written by Lela Becker, narrating her life story and her journey to overcome trauma and health issues. Born in Florida in the 1970s, Becker's father was a poor boy from Philadelphia who fell in love with a poor woman from West Virginia. After her father's sentence to thirty years in prison for selling marijuana, Becker suffered from trauma and poor health. The book narrates her journey to India, where she took a Hail Mary to find a cure for her issues. She graduated as a Practitioner of Ayurveda Therapy and gained the confidence to write and publish articles.

However, the book has both positive and negative aspects. The positive aspects include the author's narration of a life-changing trip to India, which she describes as a last resort, and her journey to becoming a practitioner of Ayurveda Therapy. However, the negative aspects include the narrative being confusing, fragmented, and repetitive. The book also fails to address early menopause, which is a topic that is not addressed in the book.

Despite these issues, the book is an inspiring and heartwarming story of hope and healing. It is recommended for readers who face similar challenges, but non-linear narratives may be avoided. Additionally, the book contains non-borderline profanity and references to drugs, which some readers may prefer to avoid. For sensitive readers, this book may not be suitable for them.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”