Review of One Daughter's Quest:

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3038
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Review of One Daughter's Quest:

Post by Kibet Hillary »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "One Daughter's Quest:" by Laura Smail Sims.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

On October 16, 1940, George and his friends answered the call for enlistment by registering with the local draft board as per the Selective Training and Service Act of 1940. By 1943, the previous exemptions were lifted because there was a rising need for men to serve in the war; after three years, George received his draft letter. In 1944, he and many others left for Italy immediately following a furlough after completion of training. He had only seen his young daughter on two separate occasions, at eight days and five months.

In 2012, Laura retired from her long career in academia and had time to pursue new interests, which included writing. She did not hesitate when her writing class instructor suggested she follow her father’s movements during World War II. One Daughter's Quest: Following My Father’s Bootprints in Italy During World War II is the journey of Laura Smail Sims as she retraces her father’s movement during the Italian Campaign after seventy-two years.

With assistance from her son, Jonathan Sims, Laura plans for an incredible journey that will see them visit numerous places in Italy and encounter living angels who are fundamental for the expedition’s success; they provide invaluable information and guidance. Will it be easy? No. But this is what makes the whole memoir absorbing from the outset; it is an emotional journey driven by love that results in tears and reverence for hallowed grounds that remind us about the sacrifice of those who fought valiantly; some, like George, paying the ultimate price.

The author’s writing skills are excellent; it is easy to follow the story. Additionally, the juxtaposition of the various places presently and during the war era was mesmerizing. For some places, nothing much had changed except for increased development; Naples was still as frenetic as her father had described years earlier in his regular letters, which were generally upbeat. Equally, as an ardent lover of history, the inclusion of brief descriptions of the Italian Campaign and its prelude was a welcome addition.

The book is suitable for anyone who would like to view WWII from the perspective of a war orphan; it is a gripping, inspiring story of love. I am certain many readers will appreciate the strong family bond in this story; George loved his family to his last breath, and Laura and Jonathan's love for George is evident throughout.

I found no unlikable aspect in the book. Laura's passion in One Daughter's Quest is unique; her determination sees her organizing an almost impossible mission that requires in-depth research. It is one thing to visit a place and learn about the battles fought there, but the feelings evoked when you know your father was there are more charged; the author demonstrates this in her book. I heartily award this book a rating of four out of four.

One Daughter's Quest:
View: on Bookshelves
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Jen Nghishitende
Currently Reading: Exploring Wine Regions – Bordeaux France
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jen-nghishitende.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Jen Nghishitende »

This sounds like it’s going to be an interesting read. It’s always good finding out about our past and I can’t wait to discover what Laura discovers! Thanks for the review.
Yasmine M
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yasmine-m.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by Yasmine M »

I like your review, indeed it is interesting to view WWII through the eyes of a war orphan. I would like to read the book.
Mildred Echesa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mildred-echesa.html
Latest Review: Catch A Raven by Kirro Burrows

Post by Mildred Echesa »

Laura truly loves her father and the quest for him is a wonderful one. I enjoyed reading your review and am sure Laura unveils a lot about the wars in her search
Poetic Justice
Judy46
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-judy46.html
Latest Review: The First Time Father by Alfie Thomas

Post by Judy46 »

Although your review is beautiful and well detailed, I do not like reading books touching WWII.
Lorna Philip Enslin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Favorite Book: The Legacy of Job's Wife
Currently Reading: Good Not Hate
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lorna-philip-enslin.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye
Reading Device: 1Device
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Lorna Philip Enslin »

‘One Daughter’s Quest’ by Laura Smail Sims, is a book I would’nt hesitate to absorb myself in. Her story is fascinating: the joy as well as heartache that must have come from walking in her beloved Father’s footsteps so many years before, when he was deployed in Italy, must have been a life changing experience. This will undoubtedly be on my TBR list.
Margi zuu202
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Favorite Book: Living in Color
Currently Reading: Water Bound (Sisters of the Heart, #1)
Bookshelf Size: 83542
fav_author_id: 77547
2024 Reading Goal: 1000
2024 Goal Completion: 1112%

Post by Margi zuu202 »

Book 📚📚📖 of of the day BOTD is non fiction memoir dating back in the 40's after Laura retirement from his long-term career she ventured into her writing passion . Laura with his supportive son Jonathan decided to do a journey of discovery in Italy that's were Laura learnt about the death of his dad in the WW2
seven decades ago! he had no idea who his dad was and she was interested to know more about him with his supportive son Jonathan their journey to Italy was met w angles and more discoveries..I like how the author brought out the story life it made it so enjoyable with amazing character the review was also well written making it so easy to read and understand I will recommend it 💯✅
Aan Granados
Currently Reading: Massacre Rocks
Bookshelf Size: 873
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aan-granados.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Aan Granados »

I admire the effort in researching this after many years has passed. I love war stories myself and historical fiction so this is a great book for me. Thank you for your review!
Adedayo Toriola
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Adedayo Toriola »

This review is a detailed one and it fills me with curiosity as to how the book will actually like.Thanks for the review.
Gabriel Okello 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20

Post by Gabriel Okello 1 »

The sacrifice that she made to look for her father's history is a big One during the war few remain
Shenila Ginabay
Favorite Book: Man Mission
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shenila-ginabay.html
Latest Review: That's what Ed said by U A Dumas

Post by Shenila Ginabay »

This looks like a good book for people who like to read about war stories. It's great that the author knows exactly what to write in order to captivate the reader. Writing about a war and knowing these details is not easy.
FunkyFlowerLady
Favorite Book: Terms of Service
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-funkyflowerlady.html
Latest Review: Stage Fright by John Gore

Post by FunkyFlowerLady »

Tracing her father's footsteps, Laura is doing great by sharing this journey with the world and making us realize how the situations in those times were. I'm excited to read about how the places were at the time and how much they have changed or not at all like Naples. Great review!
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

It must be emotional read to see the war through the eyes of an orphan. I usually avoid war-based books. But I imagine it was also healing for the author to go through this journey. Great job with the review.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
Ekta Kumari
Favorite Book: Rebecca
Currently Reading: Wild World
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-kumari.html
Latest Review: Humanity Must Survive the 21st Century by Theodore Vornicu
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Ekta Kumari »

The book is truly unique in that it is written by someone who has witnessed the effects of war as a family member of a veteran. I believe the author must have done extensive research to bring together the narrative after so many years. Thank you for the detailed analysis.
"Words dazzle and deceive because they are mimed by the face. But black words on a white page are the soul laid bare."

-Guy de Maupassant
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
Currently Reading: Life at the Precipice
Bookshelf Size: 755
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: Embrace Your Age by JAMES B. FLAHERTY ... An octogenarian with a bright future.

Post by Bertha Jackson »

The author takes an interesting journey to learn about the father she never knew. Thank you for your review.
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”