Review of God & Free-Will

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kibetious
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1828
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibetious.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
2022 Reading Goal: 120
2022 Goal Completion: 26%

Review of God & Free-Will

Post by Kibetious »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "God & Free-Will" by John Fontana.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

God and Free Will: True Stories of Sins, Faith & Redemption is a part memoir part commentary that addresses various themes, ranging from suffering to the essentiality of peace, love, forgiveness, and truth in the world. The author, John L. Fontana, walks down memory lane to reminisce about his childhood years, the journey towards his career, and his adult life. He describes traumatizing events from his childhood and his successes, dogged determination, failures, battle with depression, and path towards healing. Are you ready to witness the rebuilding of a masterpiece from broken pieces?

Most people, if not all, have asked why a good God would allow suffering and evil to exist in the world. Is it a matter of impotence or malevolence? John does not only show that everyone asks this question, he also attempts to provide some answers premised on biblical facts and free will. Most importantly, he agrees that our finite understanding and limited point of view may not allow us to find a conclusive response, at least on this side of life. I liked this admission, as the author candidly acknowledges his limitation. However, he reminds us that God is always good even in the midst of suffering.

I immensely enjoyed the short stories the author employed. It demonstrated there is already a cloud of witnesses to be or not be emulated based on the specific issues he was addressing. Readers will appreciate the need and importance of developing solid principles and standing by them in life. It is a critical lesson when the winds of change are blowing and political correctness, the new norm, is preferred to objectivism. Consequently, John presents a solid, precise case for the truth; he posits that truth does not change.

I found a few negative aspects to this remarkable book. First, the huge number of errors, comprising typos and punctuation errors, was annoying. Additionally, I discovered a few instances of unnecessary repetitions; another round of editing is required. Secondly, whereas I enjoyed the use of quotations from other authors, they were excessively used. Other readers could have a different opinion on the latter, but I would have preferred sparing use of quotes; they were relevant and led to a better understanding of numerous issues, but too many.

I rate the book two out of four stars based on the issues above. It is captivating, enlightening, resourceful, and thought-provoking. The discussion questions included at the end of every chapter are appropriate for personal reflections and group discussions. By partly employing a satirical tone, the author points out several shortcomings in our world and shows the best way forward, a way guided by love and forgiveness. I recommend the book to those who are beginning to explore free will. It will also appeal to anyone seeking answers on the existence of sin and suffering. Besides, if you are looking for a story of healing and resilience, this is one of them. As the book handles issues from a Christian perspective and uses the Bible as the primary reference, non-Christians many not enjoy it as such.

God & Free-Will
View: on Bookshelves
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Professor11
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-professor11.html
Latest Review: A Desperate Turn of Events by M J Clark

Post by Professor11 »

Indeed God is unquestionable. I will like to know more from the angle presented in this book. good review. thanks
Blessing E
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blessing-e.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Blessing E »

Superbly written review that explored the core concepts of the novel. I know know whether to read this book or not. A lot to unravel here
Dami Bassam
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
2022 Reading Goal: 15
2022 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Dami Bassam »

When a person suffer to resolve problem , when a person is ill and very tired, without imagination , we speak directly to God : please we need help , please say me how to do , then we need in life that God do something for help. We don't see anything but we pray to God to open to go straight away to find the problem resolved. Every country respect the religion given to him and how to practice it.
Buch1-Dm
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-buch1-dm.html
Latest Review: Never Forget Me by Paul Gonzal

Post by Buch1-Dm »

The book covers a lot of interesting themes, but I'm not particularly big on memoirs. I'll pass on this one, but lovers of the genre will most definitely have a spectacular time reading through it.
Uwe Neufeld
Favorite Author: Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Favorite Book: Treasure Island
Currently Reading: The Maestro Monologue
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uwe-neufeld.html
Latest Review: Living in Color by Mike Murphy
fav_author_id: 3039
2022 Reading Goal: 20
2022 Goal Completion: 110%

Post by Uwe Neufeld »

I like when authors tell their own story, as an exemple it may be to deliver his message. Why God permits suffering, the Bible is clear: it is to correct us.
Nonetheless, the reviewer has made a honest effort to give us an usefull report.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”