Review of USS TUNNY: A History, Tribute and Memoir

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sam Ibeh
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam-ibeh.html
Latest Review: The vampires: Sodom and Gomorrah by Levănt DuPrae

Review of USS TUNNY: A History, Tribute and Memoir

Post by Sam Ibeh »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "USS TUNNY: A History, Tribute and Memoir" by Raymond Vance Olszewski.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

USS TUNNY: A History, Tribute and Memoir is a military journal of the USS Tunny, a United States Navy Gato-class diesel submarine. This book offers the most descriptive and comprehensive details of the old but legendary piece of warfare machinery known as Tunny.

Raymond Vance Olszewski extensively gave historical details of the ship, its military attributes, and the honors it received. The author also identified more than 1,500 known officers that served on the ship during its active military service. Additional biographical information about the Tunny's servicemen was also extensively written out.

This book boasts of myriads of information on a United States Navy vessel. I found the biographical information of the thousands of officers who served on the ship a bit in excess; it made the book bulky. Besides being bulky, l do not find the storytelling as thrilling as I anticipated. The excitement that made me take this book wasn't to be after I had gone some distance into the book. But I'm sure that military personnel associated with marine warfare will find the book's concept exciting — I won't say the same for the storytelling.

To the author's credit, I benefited from the historical accuracy of the state of marine warfare and the significant roles of submarines, especially during WWII and the Cold War. I could also appreciate what it was like living as a submariner. This book would make a fine reference book or a dossier of helpful information for research purposes.

The writer's use and choice of words were basic and very communicative. I had no issues understanding the writer's military terms or points throughout the book. Also, the author avoided the cliché trap; he uniquely narrated the story. Each point or story was extensively detailed. The theme of this book was solid and central and went in perfect accordance with the title. Generally, the whole book structure was cohesive as it revolved around the submarine.

Another feature of this book was the lavish display of references, which, although tiring, was commendable. The sources to the references were adequately cited, and links to online resources were well presented. Also, the inclusion of many relevant pictures, coupled with songs in this book, bolstered the book's appeal.

The editing is commendable, considering the book's voluminous nature. Though I have a few minor concerns, I still rate USS TUNNY: A History, Tribute and Memoir 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to readers associated or fascinated with military warfare, especially the Navy.

USS TUNNY: A History, Tribute and Memoir
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
nwankwo chibuchi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwankwo-chibuchi.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by nwankwo chibuchi »

This seems like a complex storyline I will have a hard time understanding. I'll pass on his one. Readers who like to read about military warfares can jump on it. Great review.
Waliyat_24
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-waliyat-24.html
Latest Review: Bi-Polaroid by David Samuelson

Post by Waliyat_24 »

The concept of the book is a complex one that I think I’ll have a hard time understanding, so I’ll pass on this. I love your review though. It’s simple and easy to understand.
Blessing E
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blessing-e.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Blessing E »

The complexity of this book is something else. It has a special kind of audience. Regardless, this is a nice review
Uwe Neufeld
Favorite Author: Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Favorite Book: Treasure Island
Currently Reading: Reconfigurement
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uwe-neufeld.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel
fav_author_id: 3039

Post by Uwe Neufeld »

Weapon tecnology thrilles me, especially if they are well researched. Personal anecdotes will make this book quite interesting. Fine revies!
Austin Debby
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-austin-debby.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Austin Debby »

This book is not one of my favorite genres, but I must commend the author's effort in putting this book together. Amazing review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”