Review of Bama Boy

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bennaji
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bennaji.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Review of Bama Boy

Post by Bennaji »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Bama Boy" by Bobby Morrison.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Being called Bama Boy was not a name that many would have found acceptable. Although it was a joke based on where Bobby Morrison came from, it was a true depiction of his life. Bobby was born into a lower-class family of 13 who regarded survival as more important than education. Bobby Morrison, in his memoir, leads us into the details of his life as a poor black kid living in North California who struggled to make ends meet. Mocked and ridiculed by his friends, Bobby did not let his family background deter him from his love for education. Even though he didn't get to the peak of his educational career, he achieved a feat in education that most of his siblings could not boast of.

The author also takes us on a journey through the various stages of growth he had to undergo to become what he is now. Bobby, in this humorous novel, tells us of his experiences with bullies, his adventures with girls, his business struggles, and his special love for cars. He also outlines his successes and failures.

This book is nothing short of amazing. It is guaranteed to make you laugh out loud. The author's storytelling skills are top-notch, as one cannot put down the book the moment reading commences. I love the way the author was very open with his struggles and achievements. I admire his determination to make the best out of his life, despite the obstacles that he encountered. I love the author's ability to be proud of his heritage and stand against racist and rude comments about his background. Some of the words used by the author helped to increase my vocabulary.

The author also portrayed the essence of family bonding and sacrifice. The author's use of words evokes the right emotions in readers. This book contains life lessons one can learn from. The book teaches the essence of hard work, determination, discipline, perseverance, and pride in one's heritage. There is nothing one can hate in a fantastic book such as this one.

Bama Boy is funny, educating, and entertaining. It is also exceptionally well-edited, as I noticed no errors while reading. These are the reasons why I rate it 4 out of 4 stars. The book contains no vulgar words and is recommended for everyone who loves reading good books and who can serve as an encourager to people from humble backgrounds. This is a book you will read and thank me for later.

Bama Boy
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Chinazo Anozie
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 310
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinazo-anozie.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Little Golf Bag Book by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Chinazo Anozie »

This sounds like a great read. I'll definitely check this book out. Thanks for your review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”