Review of Breaking Free

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Seroney_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 243
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-seroney.html
Latest Review: Catch a Falling Star by Keith Julius

Review of Breaking Free

Post by Seroney_ »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Breaking Free" by Eva Jean.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Our productivity or well-being is affected by the close people surrounding us. Positive energy imbues happiness, while negativity reigns conflict and restrains us from attaining optimum health status. This book enables the reader to recognize and survive controlling behaviors.

According to Breaking Free by Eva Jean, controlling behaviors come in a number of ways. Physically, it presents through actions, such as being kicked, shoved, using tools to inflict punishment, and using drugs to justify violence. The abuser, in this case, asserts dominance by physical means.

Interestingly, the perpetrators invent ways to usurp our independence; they may behave as the victims. Social control involves somebody limiting someone’s social network. This means that the affected will withdraw from social activities, such as participation in social groups and isolation from friends. In some cases, the controller manipulates you into believing anything they tell you is nothing short of the truth. Failure to realize the manipulation is fatal; the controller may tend to belittle medical professionals and downplay the importance of their prescriptions.

Eva Jean also delves into financial, sexual, and emotional controlling behaviors. She observes that we may fail to realize that we could be victims of these exploitations, especially if we ignore our feelings. A child suffers the most from the actions of parents. Therefore, responsible parents must put aside their differences resulting from controlling behaviors for the benefit of their children.

I loved the insightful solutions provided for controlling behaviors. Jean iterates the importance of having a support system: talking to friends and professionals. She believes that we should escape compromising behaviors to salvage our happiness before it gets too late. Case studies are provided in all the chapters. Jean was bold enough to dispense experiences where she happened to be the victim.

I also appreciated the examples provided in every chapter. It allows the reader to flag instances that are deemed exploitative. For instance, some cultures argue that conjugal rights should never be denied. However, intimate actions pursued against a partner’s consent are deemed rape. The author provided a couple of institutions reachable by anyone who feels violated or desires assistance.

I didn’t like a few aspects of this book. First, most illustrations provided were from the author’s experiences. I would have appreciated it if she had incorporated other people’s experiences outside the marital setting. While most of the content is universal, I felt that the author seemed to address people within one locality; the institutions listed offer assistance to those in the UK.

The editing was done by a professional; I noticed two grammatical errors in the book. Due to the dislikes I highlighted, I rate Breaking Free by Eva Jean 3 out of 4 stars. It is an informative book that empowers people to be in charge of their lives. I wholeheartedly recommend this book to those striving to escape the snares of exploitative behaviors in relationships. Lovers of self-help books will find it helpful too.

Breaking Free
View: on Bookshelves
Blessing E
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blessing-e.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Blessing E »

As an avid reader and a book reviewer, I find it appealing to read well-written reviews. A good and honest review is always worth it. Congratulations
Hue-Morningstar
Currently Reading: Mister Monday
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hue-morningstar.html
Latest Review: Jesus, Prosperity Gospel and Poverty in Africa by Elijah Oladimeji
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
2022 Reading Goal: 30
2022 Goal Completion: 10%

Post by Hue-Morningstar »

It is good to know that the book is set to address people from one locality. Still, it will serve purpose in teaching people how to control behaviour. Whether personal or to people surrounding them. Nice work for offering clear guidance.
Praise Chizurumoke
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-praise-chizurumoke.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Praise Chizurumoke »

It is always welcoming to know that a book is set to address a specific set of people. This book teaches how to behave and control your relationship with people. The author did a great job in this book. Nice review.
beutiful_pen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beutiful-pen.html
Latest Review: The Decision by Michael D. Komeshak

Post by beutiful_pen »

Nice review. I wish I would b able to write good review like this someday.
Asja Sabani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asja-sabani.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith
2022 Reading Goal: 50
2022 Goal Completion: 12%

Post by Asja Sabani »

Thank you for the great review. This sounds like an important book that can help one in recognizing, and consequently, escaping the controlling behaviors of others. I like that she talks about different types of control - physical, social, financial, sexual, and emotional.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”