Review of THE ROAD TAKEN: Men, Motorcycles and Me

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
B Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: The Road Taken
Bookshelf Size: 318
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-b-creech.html
Latest Review: Now Is The Time by Davis Holt Jr
2022 Reading Goal: 30
2022 Goal Completion: 46%

Review of THE ROAD TAKEN: Men, Motorcycles and Me

Post by B Creech »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "THE ROAD TAKEN: Men, Motorcycles and Me" by Linda Dodwell.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

THE ROAD TAKEN: Men, Motorcycles and Me by Linda Dodwell is a fascinating memoir about Linda's life growing up and her relationships with the two men she came to love. Growing up with a marine/police officer father, who was also Director of Security at Princeton, Linda knew discipline and how to face her fears. She met her husband Larry when her father introduced them. After college, Larry got a job that ultimately led him to the position of COO at Charles Schwab Incorporation in San Francisco. Linda was the devoted executive's wife. Over the years, it was apparent their interests were different. Linda began doing more things she loved. She went on road trips on her motorcycle and stayed busy with art classes and renovating houses she and Larry bought. Larry spent all his time at work, and Linda discovered he was having an affair. He moved out of the house for a while but eventually moved back in. After their daughter, Maida, went off to college, Linda moved into the small art studio she had been renting. She took a trip to Australia for a ten-day motorcycle tour and fell madly in love with Geoff, the tour guide. After Linda returned home, all her thoughts were about going back to Australia. Would Linda try to work things out with her husband, or would she go back to Australia to be with Geoff? Where did she go from here? You will have to read the book to find out.

I loved the fact that this book revealed a powerful female. Linda tried to be a proper wife and stay-at-home mom, but her efforts went unnoticed, and over time she lost heart in trying. What impressed me most about her story was how she learned to ride a motorcycle despite her fears. At first, after buying a bike, Linda left it sitting in the garage. Although she had taken lessons, she was afraid to go it alone. However, one day Linda rode her bike to get more familiar with it. After that, she felt comfortable on the bike and enjoyed her rides. She let nothing intimidate her—she took chances and confronted her fears head-on.

There wasn't anything I didn't like about this book. I felt terrible for Linda that her marriage failed because she had such high hopes when she married Larry. The book was exciting and well written. Linda's writing style was casual and easy to follow. She didn't incorporate big words that would have made her narration sound phony; instead, it was like listening to a friend talking about her life.

Because of the casual writing style, Linda's adventurous and robust personality, and the professional editing, I am thrilled to rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. There were very few errors in the writing, and the story flowed smoothly, making the book an enjoyable read. There is very little profanity and no erotic descriptions that would hinder anyone from enjoying this book.

I recommend this book to women who desire to be adventurous but hold back out of fear. I believe Linda's story will touch the inner wishes of many different women regardless of age or station in life. Young women ages sixteen to twenty will especially enjoy reading this book.

THE ROAD TAKEN: Men, Motorcycles and Me
View: on Bookshelves
B. Creech
Patty Allread
Favorite Book: The Problems of Work
Currently Reading: How I Found Buddha On The Trading Floor
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patty-allread.html
Latest Review: Free Fish Friday by Lee Stone
2022 Goal Completion: 73%

Post by Patty Allread »

I like the inspiration this book offers, and I like the title--a play on the Robert Frost poem.
Ezidimma 01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Ezidimma 01 »

I love her courage in driving the motorbike despite her fears. What happened to her love life? Did she go back to her marriage? Great review
Praise Chizurumoke
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-praise-chizurumoke.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Praise Chizurumoke »

I'm fascinated by the character's ability to remain courageous and conquer her fears. Nice review.
B Creech

Post by B Creech »

Patty Allread wrote: 13 May 2022, 11:20 I like the inspiration this book offers, and I like the title--a play on the Robert Frost poem.
Yes, it does offer a lot of inspiration to women who are afraid to step out and fuind their true selves! Thanks for stopping by and commenting!
B. Creech
B Creech

Post by B Creech »

Ezidimma 01 wrote: 13 May 2022, 16:17 I love her courage in driving the motorbike despite her fears. What happened to her love life? Did she go back to her marriage? Great review
The way she co quered her fear of riding the motorcycle was one of my favorite parts! Her love life was an emotional roller coaster.! Thanks for dropping by and commenting!
B. Creech
B Creech

Post by B Creech »

Praise Chizurumoke wrote: 15 May 2022, 05:55 I'm fascinated by the character's ability to remain courageous and conquer her fears. Nice review.
So was I! She is a very courageous woman! Thanks for stopping by and commenting!
B. Creech

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”