Review of A Mother's Heart and the Will To Fight

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Katie Canedy
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Think and grow rich
Bookshelf Size: 377
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katie-canedy.html
Latest Review: Don’t Invest in Bitcoin,Cryptocurrencies,NFTs, the Metaverse, and Web 3, Without This Book: A Guide to Future Investing by Jaygucc
2022 Reading Goal: 50
2022 Goal Completion: 54%

Review of A Mother's Heart and the Will To Fight

Post by Katie Canedy »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Mother's Heart and the Will To Fight" by Lisa Cassat.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Lisa Cassat and her son, Abraham, were living their lives normally. However, as an infant, Abraham kept becoming ill and was prescribed medications to treat the infections. After numerous rounds of antibiotics and repeated instances of illness, his doctor suggested having surgery to help Abraham’s ears. No one anticipated that, after surgery, Abraham would start having social problems and unlearn nearly everything he learned as a baby. Lisa wanted to know why Abraham’s demeanor changed after the surgery, but she had to fight to get her answer. A Mother’s Heart and the Will to Fight is a memoir of how Lisa and Abraham struggled while adjusting to his sudden development of autism.

The educative sections were what I enjoyed most about this book. Lisa tells readers she took parenting classes after her child started showing differences in his behavior and told them how she used these classes to correct the sleeping problem Abraham developed. She also lists some of the reports her son’s doctors gave her after he had an all-day analysis to figure out what happened to him. I also enjoyed reading the entries about Abraham learning and improving his skills as an infant. These inclusions help the reader compare how Abraham was before to how he is now and what Lisa had to do to make their lives easier. Her honesty about the adjustment may relate to parents who have children with autism.

However, I found it hard to finish this book after reading about one-fourth of it. Lisa has an attitude that she had to adjust her life to deal with autism, but her son is the one who has it. While reading, I wanted to know how Abraham felt about his sudden change. Sadly, I learned more about why Lisa does not cope well with changes and death than I did about Abraham’s new life. The details about her friends and why they played a part in her unhealthy coping mechanisms were, in my opinion, not necessary and should not have been as specific.

The book title implies that readers will learn how the author fought for her son, but I did not think the book lived up to this implication. There is specific paperwork that Lisa fought for some time to obtain, but she only touched on it briefly. If this paperwork was imperative to her fight, it should have been written about more times than it was.

Grammatical mistakes are noticeable on nearly every page; I do not believe professional editing took place. Because of these errors and dislikes I mentioned above, I rate A Mother’s Heart and the Will to Fight 2 out of 4 stars. I did not give it the lowest rating because the educative sections of the book may interest readers who are not familiar with autism. I recommend this book to parents who have children with autism because they may relate to Lisa well. A few profane words are in the book, but they do not affect the writing. Even though prayer is in the book, the author does not promote a specific religious belief.

A Mother's Heart and the Will To Fight
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"There is no try, only do."- Yoda
"If you can dream it, you can do it."- Walt Disney
“I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant,it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.”- Mewtwo
smoothcrowd
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smoothcrowd.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by smoothcrowd »

Regardless of whether the title lived up to its name or not, one thing is certain; The love a mother has for her son would make her go to any length to get used to such a drastic change in her son.
A lovely book and an even better review. Thanks.
I believe that great success is possible in any field - From music to mathematics to macro trading.
Angelaoma
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Angelaoma »

Cassat's experience is really touching. It is emotionally and physically draining to raise a sickly child. But a mother's love is always too strong, too immutable to surrender. I am equally inspired by the details in this review. I hope to have a wonderful experience in the review team.
Ezidimma 01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Ezidimma 01 »

The author didn't give up on the son despite all health problems. I also liked the educative part of the book and the review buttress it well. Nice one
derick scribbles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-derick-scribbles.html
Latest Review: The Truth Is Beyond Belief! by Jerry Durr

Post by derick scribbles »

I have repeatedly heard and seen stories about autism. I think it's time I got hold of one such book and get enlightened on a few things. Probably worth my time.
Emiglee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emiglee.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Emiglee »

Such an honest review. I love that it braces the reader up for what is to come in the book. I would love to read the book as well as I am curious to know how she dealt with her son's illness and if it was successful.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”