Review of Healing in the Journey

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kibetious
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1801
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibetious.html
Latest Review: God & Free-Will by John Fontana
2022 Reading Goal: 120
2022 Goal Completion: 21%

Review of Healing in the Journey

Post by Kibetious »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Healing in the Journey" by Heather Russell.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Healing in the Journey: Living Life with Complex Regional Pain Syndrome is the story of Heather Russell, the author; it describes the genesis of her physical pain, the process to understand the ailment, and the healing journey. The story starts during her childhood and progresses to adulthood, where her struggles begin. It is filled with joyous and harrowing moments and the arduous task of searching for the correct diagnosis and treatment.

Due to its effects, the attack was not just physical, and the author goes into great detail about how complex regional pain syndrome affected her life. Consequently, her story is unique, as the circumstances of the development of the condition and the effects on herself and her family are unique. Being a mother and a wife means the fight for healing took on more goals, than just her physical healing.

Pain and suffering are some of life’s inevitable realities, striking when least expected. Unfortunately, not understanding why they happen, as this is the case often, makes the situation more debilitating. The author suffered from all of these, and it was possible to empathize with her when she included the severity of her pain and its effects, as it is difficult to feel another person's pain as they exactly do. The aspect I liked most about the book is that the author shares her story to inspire others; she narrates her entire journey and includes what worked for her. I also admired her family, particularly her husband, for standing with her and refusing to give up.

Like Heather, you may never fully answer some questions that will constantly flood your mind. You might be on the brink of losing hope as the storm rages on and even question whether God is still with you in it. I admired her resilience and determination to be a blessing even in little ways in her journey; the disease could not take this away from her. Her story is a beacon of hope to those with chronic pain. Through the inclusion of exercises, Healing Hope, at the end of every chapter, the author allows the reader to use reflections from that chapter to help them in their journeys.

I did not find any unlikable aspects of the book. Due to the number of errors I encountered while reading, I rate it three out of four stars. Anyone battling chronic pain will find this book resourceful. It will also appeal to those whose loved ones or close family members are fighting this battle. To the one who does not believe in God, some aspects of the book might not make sense. However, if you are curious or willing to find how the author found the strength to hold onto hope in God, grab a copy of this book; you will not be disappointed.

Healing in the Journey
View: on Bookshelves
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
smoothcrowd
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smoothcrowd.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by smoothcrowd »

A family like that of Heather's is what makes every bit of the struggle worth it. A family that won't give up on you when times get hard.
With a little correction to the errors, I see no reason why the book shouldn't be given a full star.
I believe that great success is possible in any field - From music to mathematics to macro trading.
Bunmi27
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bunmi27.html

Post by Bunmi27 »

Dealing with an illness and having to wake up daily to act strong requires lots of strength and courage. I can imagine how Heather had to deal with the responsibilities of being a mother, wife and having to focus on her healing. I'll love to read about her experience through this.
Shillah kigen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shillah-kigen.html
2022 Reading Goal: 200
2022 Goal Completion: 4%

Post by Shillah kigen »

I do not understand what her disease is mainly about but I've gathered a lot of information from this review and would love to read her story. It seems inspiring and full of determination. This is a very detailed review. Thanks.
Christopherio
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christopherio.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison
2022 Reading Goal: 30
2022 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by Christopherio »

Understanding the beginning of your traumas and pain is a big step in the healing process I look forward to the rest of the journey. thanks for the review.
Gnex_09
Favorite Book: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gnex-09.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith

Post by Gnex_09 »

There is no total healing without God in the picture. I appreciate the author for this great masterpiece
Uwe Neufeld
Favorite Book: Treasure Island
Currently Reading: The Maestro Monologue
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uwe-neufeld.html
Latest Review: Pandemic by Dieter Gartelmann
2022 Reading Goal: 20
2022 Goal Completion: 95%

Post by Uwe Neufeld »

So much suffering! It's awful! I myself could do a lot more to help others. I mean understanding this person. I think, it's the most important one. Thank You Kibetious!
Ezidimma 01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Ezidimma 01 »

Suffering from a chronic disease can be depressing but having people around you to encourage and support you is amazing. I like that the book encourages those in similar condition to have hope. Great review

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”