Review of The Meanderings of My Muddled Mind

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Christieee
Currently Reading: Lingering Poets
Bookshelf Size: 152
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christieee.html
Latest Review: Give and Take: a Roadmap to Understanding a Psychiatrist by Stephanie H. Mullany, MD, MAR

Review of The Meanderings of My Muddled Mind

Post by Christieee »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Meanderings of My Muddled Mind" by Craig Wood.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Meanderings of My Muddled Mind by Craig Wood is a compilation of the author’s thoughts (“meanderings,” as he calls them). With thirty-six essays, Wood presents different thoughts regarding God and the Bible’s application to life. The essays read like a conversational column in a newspaper (Wood mentioned in the preface that most of the essays in the book were previously featured in a monthly column for a church newsletter). The author addressed several important topics, including how God loves us regardless of our shortcomings and various other nuggets. Every chapter ends with a few questions that give readers room for more discussion and introspection.

My favorite thing about this book is that the author’s tone is gentle and conversational. He writes as though he is right in front of you. The first essay began with Wood revealing that almost all his teeth are metal! I found his sentences easygoing, and the way he always related his personal stories to a meaningful message of God’s love melted my heart. I also loved the addition of the concluding questions; they can help foster deeper thinking and will be great for group discussions. For one, controversial questions like “Would you rather die and go to Heaven now, or wait a while? What do you think it would take for you to be 'ready to go?' Is it okay to like living and not want to die?” are sure to spice up group discussions.

The author's messages are powerful, compassionate, and feel like a big hug. I particularly loved reading that God’s grace is beyond obeying rules. We do not earn God’s grace by being righteous and blameless, but God's grace is for everyone. Readers will also find food for thought in the powerful message that we don’t find Jesus because He is not lost. It is Jesus who finds us because we are lost. I loved that kindness seeped through the author’s words. To my relief, Wood did not form any absolute conclusions. Instead, he invites you to think about what each topic means to you.

However, while I appreciated Wood’s open-ended writing style, some essays were so inconclusive that I would have liked to read more of the author’s insights, the chapter titled Power of Prayer being one example. I also found an ableist and offensive message: “We might have worked hard to get where we are, but we could have worked just as hard, been hit by a truck, and become disabled. Or we could have been born in Syria instead of the United States and become one of the million-plus in terrible refugee camps.” This excerpt wrongly implies that only privileged people should feel grateful.

Also, I saw the word “meandering” so many times that it became exhausting. While I understood the reference to the book’s title, repeating the word in every single essay became overbearing. Overall, I appreciated this book and think it will be a good read for Bible study groups and readers who enjoy introspecting. However, my rating is 3 out of 4. I removed one star because of the ableist excerpt I mentioned and my belief that the book could have been better with more details.

The Meanderings of My Muddled Mind
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Blessing E
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blessing-e.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Blessing E »

This one is a religious book. I appreciate well written reviews. This is because it gives me an idea of how to structure my reviews subsequently. Thanks teaching me what a good review is. And congratulations for having your review published.
Akinola John
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akinola-john.html
Latest Review: The White Coat Effect by L.B. Wells

Post by Akinola John »

I love the way the author's writing style was conversational. Nice review.
Uwe Neufeld
Favorite Book: Treasure Island
Currently Reading: The Maestro Monologue
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uwe-neufeld.html
Latest Review: Pandemic by Dieter Gartelmann
2022 Reading Goal: 20
2022 Goal Completion: 95%

Post by Uwe Neufeld »

It is good there are books out there that make you think for a moment, let You stand still and listening.
I think this is a very good review!
Gwrites208
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gwrites208.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight
2022 Reading Goal: 40
2022 Goal Completion: 25%

Post by Gwrites208 »

I love the fact that the author is very conversational with his writing, though regretted the flaws you mention. The God's love theme of the book appeals to me.
I'm coming for you, the world

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”