Review of The Sounds at River's Edge

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Michaeljerry309
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michaeljerry309.html
Latest Review: Women Under Construction by Tifphanie Tucker
2022 Reading Goal: 50
2022 Goal Completion: 44%

Review of The Sounds at River's Edge

Post by Michaeljerry309 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Sounds at River's Edge" by Bobbie J McLaren.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Bobbie J. McLaren is the author of The Sounds at River's Edge. She was born in South Florida and graduated from Palm Beach Gardens High School. When Bobbie isn’t writing nonfiction books, she’s writing poetry, songs, or vacation Bible school programs. She also enjoys drawing and painting.

This book is about the author’s childhood and the beautiful relationship she had with her family. She showed us how kind and understanding her father was, and she shared some of the happiest moments she experienced with her sister. The aim of this book was to show us how life was for her as she grew up on the intracoastal waterway. Along the way, she also shared some opinions about society and the effect of technology on people of this generation. Bobbie is a Christian, so a lot of the opinions she shared were influenced by her religion, but I didn’t have an issue with this.

The author wrote straightforwardly, without dwelling on unnecessary detail. This was very much appreciated, as it allowed for a smooth reading experience. I understood the book with ease because it wasn’t tedious to read. I also like Bobbie’s jovial approach to writing because it adds character to the entire book and gave me some insight into the kind of person Bobbie is. I enjoy short books, so I was glad to find that the Kindle version of the book was less than 100.

Throughout this book, Bobbie had a contagious energy that I liked. Bobbie also had a very strong imagination. She went on so many fun imaginary adventures. My favorite one was on her imaginary ship. I laughed so much when I read how she put crabs in her sister’s bed. I’m also from a Christian family, so I could relate to having parents like Bobbie’s. I also appreciate the scriptures that Bobbie quoted in the book. She used it to back up some of her points. This book had a few errors that threw me off, and these errors are the only things I didn’t like about this book.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars because I genuinely enjoyed reading this book. Bobbie’s story was interesting and relatable, and even though I spotted a couple of errors, I still believe that a professional edited this book. However, another round of editing would have prevented the errors I spotted. I didn’t rate it lower because every other thing about this book was perfect for me. I recommend this book to people over the age of 16 who enjoy reading books about family and childhood. If you enjoy reading memoirs, then you will also enjoy reading this book.

The Sounds at River's Edge
View: on Bookshelves
smoothcrowd
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smoothcrowd.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by smoothcrowd »

There's nothing as satisfying as the pure unconditional love of family. With a little more edit, I see no other reason the book shouldn't get a full star. It was indeed an interesting review of the already great book.
Thanks for the review.
I believe that great success is possible in any field - From music to mathematics to macro trading.
Christopherio
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christopherio.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison
2022 Reading Goal: 30
2022 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by Christopherio »

THE AUTHOR SEEMS VERY TALENTED AND HAS A LOVELY FAMILY. I LIKE THE DEBATE SHE HAS ABOUT THE EFFECTS OF TECHNOLOGY ON THIS GENERATION AND THIS COULD PROVE TO BE A GOOD READ.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”