Review of Kangaroo Method

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Saint Bruno
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: When God Leads It Might Be Into a Dark Alley by Edwina J. H. Flynn
fav_author_id: 2484
2022 Reading Goal: 100
2022 Goal Completion: 23%

Review of Kangaroo Method

Post by Saint Bruno »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Kangaroo Method" by Donald Russell Woodruff.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Many people find it hard to cut through the information in a book, retain the key points, and put the knowledge acquired from a text to use. Some people would love to read more and become better learners, but they often struggle to get beyond the first few chapters. Thankfully, Donald Russell Woodruff provides readers with a way to fix the above issues in his book—The Kangaroo Method.

The author seeks to raise the reader's ability to become more intelligent by addressing the root causes that impede learning. He believes that by significantly improving readers' verbal intelligence, readers can strengthen their reading fluency, comprehension, and retention. But what is verbal intelligence, and how can one unlock it? Do you know why we often tune out while reading? Read this book to learn to be a proficient reader and enjoy the author's eye-opening answers to the above questions.

Recently, I read a book that also provided invaluable tips on how to improve one's reading speed and skills, so I am glad to find that this author opened up another portal to becoming proficient in reading and learning. After reading this book, I employed the author's strategy, the Kangaroo Method, and found that I had a better understanding of what I was reading. I also noticed that I could easily recall what I read. Hence, what I like most about this book is the author's innovative contribution to solving a problem that continues to worry most learners. I appreciate his insights into how unknown words or words we assume to know but are at a loss to define cause disruption when we read. And I believe that anyone looking to improve how they study or enjoy publications would benefit from the book.

Furthermore, the author's writing style is praiseworthy. His experience as an educator is evident throughout the book. He delivers his discussions and explanations in simple language, and I loved how organized his lessons were. Also, I enjoyed the author's use of analogies and his life stories to make his points relatable and easy to understand. For example, I found the author's story of a parallel parking test he failed and how his father put him through it by breaking the process into steps entertaining and eye-opening.

Another aspect of this book that I love is that the author didn't stop at only teaching his readers to become better readers and learners. The book contains personal stories from the author that would inspire readers to believe in themselves to achieve whatever they desire. I also appreciate his advice to readers to push through the expected pushback that follows applying a new strategy. Hence, I must commend his message of persistence and patience.

I didn't dislike anything about this book. At just 54 pages, it is also a quick read, and I love that the book is exceptionally edited. Therefore, I rate The Kangaroo Method a well-deserved four out of four stars. I highly recommend it to people who wish to read and learn better and unlock the intellectual boost they seek.

Kangaroo Method
View: on Bookshelves
smoothcrowd
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smoothcrowd.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by smoothcrowd »

This book is practically for everyone on this Online book club and aspiring readers. To contain such a piece of highly demanding information for readers, this book is sure to become the BOTD or BOTM one day.
A great book and an amazing review...nice.
I believe that great success is possible in any field - From music to mathematics to macro trading.
Saint Bruno
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: When God Leads It Might Be Into a Dark Alley by Edwina J. H. Flynn
fav_author_id: 2484
2022 Reading Goal: 100
2022 Goal Completion: 23%

Post by Saint Bruno »

smoothcrowd wrote: 05 May 2022, 01:38 This book is practically for everyone on this Online book club and aspiring readers. To contain such a piece of highly demanding information for readers, this book is sure to become the BOTD or BOTM one day.
A great book and an amazing review...nice.
You are so correct! And I appreciate your comment and kind words.
peter-turo
Favorite Book: Rescuing General Patton
Currently Reading: Murder in the Garbage
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peter-turo.html
Latest Review: Deviancy by Rose Linderman, Psy.D.
2022 Reading Goal: 24
2022 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by peter-turo »

I'm sure to grab some useful tips and intellectual skills that can help my reading hobby . Great review.
OTrain M
Currently Reading: The MISOGI Method
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-otrain-m.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith
2022 Reading Goal: 70
2022 Goal Completion: 45%

Post by OTrain M »

This book will benefit those who have lost the love they once had for reading books. I am also interested so I can know more about such people so i can be less judgmental and more sympathetic.
Patty Allread
Favorite Book: The Problems of Work
Currently Reading: How I Found Buddha On The Trading Floor
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patty-allread.html
Latest Review: Free Fish Friday by Lee Stone
2022 Reading Goal: 30
2022 Goal Completion: 73%

Post by Patty Allread »

I'm glad this book worked for you, but it sounds like a re-hash or alteration of well-established study technology.
Christopherio
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christopherio.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison
2022 Reading Goal: 30
2022 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by Christopherio »

A book for reading fluency, comprehension and retention sounds like an all purpose book and should be for everyone especially readers.But I still need to know what the author refers to as verbal intelligence. Thanks for the review.
Muna Chizzy
Currently Reading: Gardening With Guns
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-muna-chizzy.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon
2022 Reading Goal: 50
2022 Goal Completion: 24%

Post by Muna Chizzy »

The book title is captivating. Readers who are having issues in trying to assimilate what they are reading will find this book helpful. Thanks for the informative review.
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The 90 Day Peace Project by Alice Langholt, Ph.D.

Post by Ellylion »

I would like to have a closer look at the method of reading and learning suggested by the author. :) Also, the cover looks very nice. Thanks for a great review!
Uwe Neufeld
Favorite Book: Treasure Island
Currently Reading: The Maestro Monologue
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uwe-neufeld.html
Latest Review: Pandemic by Dieter Gartelmann
2022 Reading Goal: 20
2022 Goal Completion: 95%

Post by Uwe Neufeld »

It is true, attention fades after the first few chapters. Can't remember how many books I didn't finish reading.
I guess there is something about the 'Kangaroo Method that can help me focus better my attention.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”