Review of Calling Yankees to Florida

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
pricklypurple
Currently Reading: Moloka'i
Bookshelf Size: 320
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pricklypurple.html
Latest Review: Calling Yankees to Florida by John T. Foster, Jr., and Sarah Whitmer Foster

Review of Calling Yankees to Florida

Post by pricklypurple »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Calling Yankees to Florida" by John T. Foster, Jr., and Sarah Whitmer Foster.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

If you ever wanted to learn a little bit more about Harriet Beecher Stowe, or if you're interested in how the tourism industry started in Florida, then Calling Yankees to Florida by John T. Foster, Jr. and Sarah Whitmer Foster is for you. In this book, the authors have carefully compiled articles by Harriet Beecher Stowe that display both her love of Florida and her dedication to making it a state with diversity and equality of residents. The Fosters give a brief overview of the history of the time and short introductions to each piece composed by Stowe and her relatives.

I learned a lot from this book. I gained a new perspective of Florida. It was very interesting to see through Harriet Beecher Stowe's eyes the Florida of the time. My favorite parts were learning about how she advocated for tourism and later for ecological preservation. It was fascinating to read about how the tourism boom came about in Florida. And I think the authors did a good job of providing a variety of Stowe's works. It was obvious that they did their research and took the time to make sure the whole book was thoughtfully laid out.

Since I really enjoyed this book, it's hard to really mention anything negative. I guess my least favorite part was that I didn't get to hear more from the authors themselves. While I think they did a great job piecing together Harriet Beecher Stowe's writings, it would have been nice to hear a little more of their personal voices and opinions throughout the book.

I give this book 4 out of 4 stars. It was written well and organized neatly. The writings of Stowe were laid out and explained in a way that was easy to follow. There were even photographs included to give a better idea of Florida during that time period. I didn't find a single editing error. All passages written by the authors seemed to be crafted well.

This book would be a great read for people who enjoy travel books or who like to learn about the history of places. It would be most interesting to those with a desire to learn more about Florida and Harriet Beecher Stowe. I would not recommend it to people looking for a lighter, fictional tale. However, if you find yourself in the mood for a bit of history about a unique place told by an interesting woman, then this will not disappoint.

Calling Yankees to Florida
View: on Bookshelves
Christopherio
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christopherio.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison
2022 Reading Goal: 30
2022 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by Christopherio »

Explains a different aspect of tourism and ecological preservation. it seems like an interesting book. good review.
Chinenye Achilike
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinenye-achilike.html
Latest Review: Building A Coaching Culture by Andreas Von Der Heydt
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK
2022 Reading Goal: 6
2022 Goal Completion: 100%

Post by Chinenye Achilike »

I not only want to read this book to discover Florida's history, but I'd love to visit someday.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”