Review of In DeLorean's Shadow

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Lucy V
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lucy-v.html
Latest Review: Challenges of Christian Marriage in African Culture by Sylvester Oyeka

Review of In DeLorean's Shadow

Post by Lucy V »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "In DeLorean's Shadow" by Stephen Lee Arrington.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

This book, In DeLorean’s Shadow: The Drug Trial of the Century by the Sole Surviving Defendant, written by Stephen Lee Arrington, is a non-fiction novel containing twenty-six chapters in four hundred and twenty-four pages. It is an autobiography that includes everything on the author to date, from his incarceration to his love life, his childhood and family, and his work, marriage, and achievements as a motivational and drug speaker.

The story begins with a conversation between Steve and Morgan, where Morgan admits to Steve that he was a smuggler who smuggled drugs from Colombia. He asks Steve to co-pilot his plane to Colombia, which he bluntly refuses but eventually is pressured into doing. He goes on the trip. He almost crashes before landing in Colombia to load the drugs and makes a return trip to Los Angeles the next day. Before he embarked on the journey, Morgan had promised to pay him fifty thousand dollars, but after his return, he stalls in making the payment. Steve is not comfortable with the whole smuggling business and wants out, but before he can achieve this, he is arrested.

There are lots of positive aspects to the book. The author uses his life as a guide to explain the acceptance of one’s shortcomings; this is displayed in the statement he makes during his arraignment in court and also when he admitted to the highway patrol officer, Hugh, that he smuggled drugs he shouldn't have. Steve also explains that for every wrongdoing one does, there's a repercussion by accepting his sentencing. Even though Morgan had pressured him into submission, he still felt he was not right and deserved to serve punishment for his offense because he could have walked away; instead, he stayed.

Also, I liked that the book highlighted a few things about religion, from the moment of his despair in cell (J-1), where he knelt and made his peace with God, and God seeing him through his travails and near-disastrous circumstances in prison. The author inserted Bible quotes a lot, and his Bible was his major companion in incarceration. The author’s strong belief in God is further affirmed when he does CPR for a seemingly drowned student in the School of Oceaneering where he taught; he had prayed to God before he started, and moments after, the boy woke from his coma. Even the doctors confirmed that his being alive was nothing short of a miracle. The author charges readers to accept Christ in the book's last chapter.

There is hardly any negative aspect to the book, except where one of the inmates, Loco, admits to Steve that he has Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome (AIDS) and tells him not to tell any of the other inmates because he would lose his lovers; I felt the author could have notified the authorities in view that he had an infectious disease, which could be easily spread in the prison grounds. I tend to understand why he, however, tells the story of Loco’s addiction to heroin and how his best friend dies from an overdose of it. Notwithstanding this discrepancy, the book is a beautiful read; it's a tear-jerking story that is very inspiring. There are no errors; the book was exceptionally well edited.

Therefore, I give this book a 4 out of 4 rating because I loved it so much, and I learned a lot from the life of the author. I recommend this book to lovers of history, Christians, and divers. It is recommended to lovers of non-fiction and everyone that loves to broaden their minds and perspective on life.

Moderator's Note: Federal Prison guards keep accurate medical records on all inmates, and they knew of Loco's condition. It would not have been advisable for the author to share another person's private medical information with others, out of respect for his fellow inmate's privacy.

In DeLorean's Shadow
View: on Bookshelves
Patty Allread
Favorite Book: The Problems of Work
Currently Reading: How I Found Buddha On The Trading Floor
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patty-allread.html
Latest Review: Free Fish Friday by Lee Stone
2022 Reading Goal: 30
2022 Goal Completion: 73%

Post by Patty Allread »

It would be interesting to understand Steve and how he viewed his life. I'm not sure I understand the significance of the title, though.
Christopherio
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christopherio.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison
2022 Reading Goal: 30
2022 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by Christopherio »

I don't really understand the book's structure,
storyline and the cover art but I guess it's not my book genre. Thanks for the simplified review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”