Review of nonno, the fig tree,and me

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Katie Canedy
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Think and grow rich
Bookshelf Size: 378
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katie-canedy.html
Latest Review: Don’t Invest in Bitcoin,Cryptocurrencies,NFTs, the Metaverse, and Web 3, Without This Book: A Guide to Future Investing by Jaygucc
2022 Reading Goal: 50
2022 Goal Completion: 56%

Review of nonno, the fig tree,and me

Post by Katie Canedy »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "nonno, the fig tree,and me" by Matt Rossi.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

According to Matt Rossi, the author of Nonno, the Fig Tree, and Me, family is everything. From weekend family barbeques to holiday parties, there were always opportunities to eat, laugh, dance, and spend time with family. While growing up, Matt developed a close relationship with Nonno, his grandfather. Nonno wanted to make sure that Matt grew up having close family relationships and decided to purchase a fig tree. What does this have to do with taking care of a tree? Why did Nonno want Matt to take care of the fig tree once he was old enough to do so? Find the answer in this delicately written memoir.

Mr. Rossi used illustrated and realistic pictures to tell his story. I was unsure if both styles would be on the same page, but I am happy to say they were not. The illustrations capture the emotions and personalities of the family members, which gives color and realism to the stories within the book. Readers can easily see the quizzical look Nonno gives when his family shows him a new dog. I commend whoever made these illustrations for a job well done.

I also liked that Matt included the struggles the family had. Even though this book is for a younger audience, Matt does not shy away from being honest. He learned from Nonno that taking care of a family was hard when they had very little money. Despite these struggles, his grandfather did not give up. Nonno could barely speak English, yet he was able to drive a delivery truck for his company. Sacrifice and love are evident each time a family story comes up.

I found nothing to dislike about the book. Matt shared his Italian heritage with us and told us about various foods the family liked to eat. I learned about fig trees and what is required to care for one. If I had to complain about anything, it would be the five grammatical errors I found. Even with these errors, I enjoyed my time reading Nonno, the Fig Tree, and Me.

This memoir deserves the highest rating of 4 out of 4 stars. It is a beautiful tribute to the author’s grandfather and teaches a great life lesson. I highly recommend this book to parents who want to teach their small children the importance of family. Infant baptism, Sunday church outings, and creationism are in this book. However, readers should not let these aspects bother them because the author does not force any beliefs onto others.

nonno, the fig tree,and me
View: on Bookshelves
"There is no try, only do."- Yoda
"If you can dream it, you can do it."- Walt Disney
“I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant,it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.”- Mewtwo
Patty Allread
Favorite Book: The Problems of Work
Currently Reading: How I Found Buddha On The Trading Floor
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patty-allread.html
Latest Review: Free Fish Friday by Lee Stone
2022 Reading Goal: 30
2022 Goal Completion: 73%

Post by Patty Allread »

Nice review! I like that this book demonstrates the value of young people being positively influenced by their elders.
Ismailali12
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ismailali12 »

This book demonstrates such a special time and love for each other. We all should hope we can touch the lives of other’s as written in this book. The author has shared his wonderful memories which makes me reminisce about my own Italian family traditions.
sayoniwrites
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sayoniwrites.html
Latest Review: Guilt by David Taylor Black

Post by sayoniwrites »

This seems like a sweet book that teaches the value of family. I also want to know why Nanno wanted Matt to take care of the fig tree. I would also like to see the illustrations you mentioned. Great recommendation. Thanks for the wonderful review.
Sharon Christanto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharon-christanto.html
Latest Review: The path from backpack to briefcase 2nd. idition by R. William Holland, PhD
Reading Device: B09N3YBXCN

Post by Sharon Christanto »

Reading this book brings sweet memories I had as a child. Very recommended for parents! Thanks for the elaborate review! Many people should read this book!
Christopherio
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christopherio.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison
2022 Reading Goal: 30
2022 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by Christopherio »

I like the values being taught to young kids. Family, friendship and responsibilities. This book is also illustrative and seems interesting.thanks for the review.
Chinenye Achilike
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinenye-achilike.html
Latest Review: Building A Coaching Culture by Andreas Von Der Heydt
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK
2022 Reading Goal: 6
2022 Goal Completion: 100%

Post by Chinenye Achilike »

I'm curious to know how looking after a fig tree relates to family.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”