Review of Uprooted

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Review of Uprooted

Post by AntonelaMaria »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Uprooted" by Peter J. Boni.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Uprooted: Family Trauma, Unknown Origins, and the Secretive History of Artificial Insemination  by Peter J. Boni is a nonfiction book with a very self-explanatory title. In this memoir, Peter tells the story of his family and a twenty-five-year-long search to uncover secrets about his conception. When he was sixteen years old, his father, after a long battle with depression, committed suicide. Understandably, that left a long-lasting impact on Peter and the way he saw himself, his obligations, and his relationships. Unlocking a fifty-year-old family secret by accident brought another round of identity confusion. He divides the book into three parts, and there is additional research and insight at the end of the book that the author shares with the readers.

Reading this book was like reading a mystery novel. I was so invested in the author’s investigation of his donor's identity and other possible relatives. I couldn’t stop reading it. It is a very compelling story. I have always wondered about laws and regulations regarding sperm donors. This book delivers an abundance of information. It is a nuanced story too. We often have these questions about nature versus nurture. Even though the author had a family who loved him immensely, there was a missing piece that he needed to discover. This is an extraordinarily raw and honest view of a person directly affected by the consequences of fertility programs.

Mental health issues are a huge part of this book. My favorite part of this book is the positive light the author shines on therapy. It was refreshing to see how important it is to address and communicate issues that arise in life. Past trauma and parents’ impact on a child’s life have long-lasting consequences. Peter searches for a place to belong and for answers about his ancestors. It is a human story about filling voids and coming to terms with what family truly means to us.

I found nothing negative about this book, and I didn’t dislike any part of it. Furthermore, the editing of this book is outstanding. I didn’t notice any errors. For those and the previously mentioned reasons, I cannot rate this book with anything less than a perfect score of four out of four stars.

I would recommend this book to all readers of memoirs and nonfiction books. However, if you are curious about artificial insemination, the history of it all, and one family’s journey through it, then you can read this book too. The author shares his personal experience but also all the findings he learned along the way. There are specific content warnings for suicide and the loss of a loved one. I am rarely impressed with books nowadays, but this one is special. I highly recommend it.

Uprooted
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
Beambeam
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7

Post by Beambeam »

My curiosity about artificial insemination will make me wish to read this book. Great review.
Essy Nma
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-essy-nma.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Essy Nma »

I admire Peter's quest to know the secrets behind his birth. I wish he won't be disappointed afterwards. Thanks for the review.
Aisha Yakub
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

I'll like to know more about the findings the author learned on the way. Great review.
Mmaduabuchi Eze
Favorite Book: The Maestro Monologue
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmaduabuchi-eze.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Mmaduabuchi Eze »

Depression, one of the unfortunate challenges to the enjoyment of life's beautiful gifts. I wish those passing through depression find comfort in Peter's story and continue the struggle to recovery.
Ndagire Hassifah
Currently Reading: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ndagire-hassifah.html
Latest Review: Building A Coaching Culture by Andreas Von Der Heydt

Post by Ndagire Hassifah »

I would really like to know more about the author life and his othet family. Great review.
Sou Hi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

Thanks for your review. Looks like those who are interested in artificial insemination and sperm/egg donor will find this book infomative.
Abdul-Malik Hassan
Favorite Author: Linnea Tanner
Currently Reading: How to jumpstart your faith in 21 days!
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abdul-malik-hassan.html
Latest Review: “Wisdom Of The Men” by Clint Arthur
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 79732

Post by Abdul-Malik Hassan »

Addressing mental health issues is often a challenge. I like how this book undertakes a phenomenal approach to talking about the subject from a wider perspective.
Mercy Sos Christopher
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercy-sos-christopher.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Mercy Sos Christopher »

I thoroughly loved reading about Peter's quest to understand his genetic ancestry as well as the emotional and psychological effects of his journey. Peter's thorough research sheds light on the previously unknown early stages of donor conception and fertility. A well-written memoir with a sense of mystery-solving keeps the reader interested. Many people can relate to learning the unexpected in their family's history because every family has secrets. Those who have learned they were born via donor must read this. Thanks for the elaborate review and Congrats to the author on BOTD
tarafarah7
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ">tuesdays with Morrie</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1424
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarafarah7.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by tarafarah7 »

What an awesome review! You really did the book justice..bravo!

Today's BOTD sounds like one that will appeal to a large audience. A memoir that reads like a mystery novel, readers are invited to join Peter on his quest to discovers the secrets behind his conception. Along with being informative, it also gives others in similar situations hope and direction on their own personal journeys to discover their true self. Thank you again for the helpful review!
Ubaidj
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Ubaidj »

Review is perfect as it highlights the important topics of the book. Artificial Insemination I think is the main aspect of the book. Looking forward to try it out.
Margi zuu202
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Favorite Book: Living in Color
Currently Reading: Water Bound (Sisters of the Heart, #1)
Bookshelf Size: 77953
fav_author_id: 77547
2024 Reading Goal: 1000
2024 Goal Completion: 553%

Post by Margi zuu202 »

Book 📚📖📚📖 of the day BOTD non fiction memoir or social sience as I see it an engrossing story of dacades long searching for his biological father. boni @40yrs is a successful business man but in a strained marriage he learns that his biological father was not his dad . looking back on his childhood he had a Rocky background full of struggle and poverty the dad he knew died of depression suicide. His quest to look for his biological father came when his fragile experiments and it unearthed family secrets that open his eyes! Throughout his book he urges openness to protect physical and mental health of donor conceived child his situation are proof of the negative effect of such secrets..the book was well written and reviewed it made me questions if the person I call my dad is really my dad !??? I will recommend it 💯✅
Kendal Low
Currently Reading: As Good As Dead
Bookshelf Size: 181
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendal-low.html
Latest Review: Billboards Across America by D.J. Parsons

Post by Kendal Low »

It sounds like Peter has written a very interesting and well-thought-out book. I am glad you mentioned that he shines a positive light on therapy, as I think it is so so beneficial and important. Great review!
Kenneth Onyenwe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kenneth-onyenwe.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Hope A Sarah Tilghman Story by Susan Mackewich

Post by Kenneth Onyenwe »

"Uprooted" by Peter J. Boni is a non-fictional memoir about a man, Peter, on a quest to uncover the mysteries surrounding his conception. Interesting book.
AllTooWell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alltoowell.html
Latest Review: Unlight by Chandra Shekhar

Post by AllTooWell »

This seems like a very hard book to read, is never easy to discover where we come from and I am not sure this book is for me, as I have struggled with my mental health and do not want to risk something to trigger me.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”