Review of Building A Coaching Culture

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
AmazingGrace1
Currently Reading: Chat Gpt
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amazinggrace1.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Review of Building A Coaching Culture

Post by AmazingGrace1 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Building A Coaching Culture" by Andreas Von Der Heydt.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Building A Coaching Culture by Andreas von der Heydt is a research work that discusses approaches to coaching and how new employees can be assisted in building and achieving excellence in their careers through coaching by experienced managers . Apparently, without a coach and a coachee, coaching won't take place. The manager acts as the coach, and the new employee, the coachee. The book discusses leadership with a focus on internal coaching led by organizations' managers.

The author applies interviews as qualitative research methods and selects participants who act as interviewees. These participants were selected from two main groups, which are: tenured managers and new employees. Subsequently, with the help of the interviews, data was collected. Information and observations were gathered based on research questions which studied the factors that define successful in-house coaching between tenured leaders and new employees, the elements such programs should encircle, and how best to develop them.

Certainly, leaders are made, not born. And they are made through certain set instructions and processes that they should know and follow. This fact is the objective of this research project and what Andreas tries to communicate to us. Creating a sustainable and successful coaching culture within an organization embodies an excellent approach called managerial coaching. This approach of the manager as coach establishes a leadership process where the relationship between the manager and the employee is flexible and free of power and hierarchy. Here, the manager stands as an adviser, questioner, and supporter.

The book is well structured, and I'm pleased with how the author, with evidence-based facts, reveals that there is more to coaching than we usually think. Through this piece, I realized that coaching is actually a partnership that ensures two-way communication between a leader and his followers in which they meet and show mutual respect, not the hierarchical and rigid relationship where the leader gives strict orders and controls his followers. For these reasons, I rate Building A Coaching Culture  4 out of 4 stars.

One thing I dislike about the book is its diction. The author's choice of words is complex and iterative and thus, requires a high degree of thoughtful focus or repetitive reading to assimilate and understand. 

Ultimately, I observed a few errors that did not distract my reading experience. To that end, I say the book was professionally edited. It's a guide to coaching and transformation. Therefore, I recommend this book to leaders, organizational development practitioners who aim for excellence, and anyone who is interested in people management.

Building A Coaching Culture
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”