Review of Grand Slam Life

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Faithy_Star
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithy-star.html
Latest Review: L.A. Dreams by A.M. Morrell

Review of Grand Slam Life

Post by Faithy_Star »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Grand Slam Life" by Milton Haber, M.D..]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Milton Haber M.D., who had no intention of becoming a physician, became one. He also went as far as becoming the founding owner of a successful clinical research center called Laguna Clinical Research Associates. Notwithstanding the role of fate, hard work, focus, and determination kept him in medical school and made him a successful doctor.

Snippets of his family in his earlier years, his life as a young person, and his experiences as a medical student and practitioner were narrated in detail. The highlight of it all was when he contracted COVID-19. He narrated his experiences as a patient and the various long-term effects of the disease. It is on this basis that he gave reasons everyone should take the vaccine, despite their fears or reservations.

From the details about his life, some traits that I found evident during his internship and years as a doctor are his remarkable work ethic and love for his patients. I particularly appreciated Milton’s care and compassion for his patients. This is due to how important human life is. Even though doctors must be paid for their services, it is important that they consider the health of their patients before anything else. Indeed, all doctors should have this trait of Milton's.

There are various lessons in this book. I learned that we should not be so rigid in believing that there is a particular path for us. We should be flexible enough to allow life to pivot our paths because the outcome may be good.

I found it difficult to grasp some parts of this book. Relevant details were not included, or at least some parts were not explained in a way I could easily understand. An example is the details of how the research center came into existence. Even after I reread some parts of the book, I found it difficult to connect the dots. Unfortunately, this affected my reading experience and has prompted me to deduct a star. Other than that, this was an insightful and engaging read. Since I only found a few errors, Grand Slam Life by Milton Haber, M.D. with Beth Herman was professionally edited. Therefore, I am rating it three out of four stars.

The good thing is that anyone can read this book. Anyone, including medical practitioners or students interested in reading about Milton's experiences, will find this book insightful. They can also learn from the strength and commitment of the author. Also, if you have any doubts about the COVID-19 vaccine, this book can help you clear your doubts.

Grand Slam Life
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
peter-turo
Favorite Book: Rescuing General Patton
Currently Reading: Murder in the Garbage
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peter-turo.html
Latest Review: Deviancy by Rose Linderman, Psy.D.
2022 Reading Goal: 24
2022 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by peter-turo »

Milton became a Covid 19 patient and required the care and help of other physicians even though he was one. That makes him fit to mentor other physician 7on how they handle the patients. I do like also the lessons learn from this book. I agree that we should be flexible on how life takes us. Thanks for a detailed review.
Patty Allread
Favorite Book: The Problems of Work
Currently Reading: How I Found Buddha On The Trading Floor
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patty-allread.html
Latest Review: Free Fish Friday by Lee Stone
2022 Reading Goal: 30
2022 Goal Completion: 73%

Post by Patty Allread »

Work ethic and love for patients are vital qualities that I wish all doctors would develop in their work. By the book's title, I assume that Dr. Haber experienced a lot of success and happiness in his decision to become a doctor. Good review.
XLP
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by XLP »

Hard work and determination are some of the essential attitudes to acquire and sustain in order to actualize one's dreams. Writing this book from a personal experience, I am certain that souls out there will be motivated and encouraged.
Gwrites208
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gwrites208.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight
2022 Reading Goal: 40
2022 Goal Completion: 25%

Post by Gwrites208 »

This book is definitely a great read for this time. I'll love to read the author experience on Covid19. Also I'll do agree with you that we should to be flexible about our career choices. great review.
I'm coming for you, the world
Sarah1738
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah1738.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Post by Sarah1738 »

This book will appeal to medical practitioners, and since I am not one, I will not be reading this book. However, I enjoyed the review and appreciated the author's hard work. Hard work truly pays.
Poetic Justice

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”