Review of Destiny Lives on Fairhaven Street

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kansas City Teacher
Review Team Admin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kansas-city-teacher.html
Latest Review: Project: 211 by Sammy Maida

Review of Destiny Lives on Fairhaven Street

Post by Kansas City Teacher »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Destiny Lives on Fairhaven Street" by C.J. Hudson.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Young Christopher meets Danielle when his family moves in next door. Relentlessly bullied at school and the victim of abuse at home, Chris finds solace in Danielle’s company. In her, Chris finds acceptance and peace, and his feelings of loneliness and shame seem to diminish when he is with her. The two are inseparable, and they are devastated when Chris must move away with his family. He gives her a pendant to remind her that he will come back for her one day. He spends the next eight years waiting for the day when he can return to her. Destiny Lives on Fairhaven Street, written by C.J. Hudson, is a memoir about the author’s first love, written for his sons to chronicle his journey through the best and worst times of his life.

I chose to read this book because I enjoy stories about young people and thought that a piece about preteen crushes would be a light, endearing read. This book is so much more. Several subplots and many characters come together in this memoir to create a story so powerful that even the most cynical reader will walk away thinking about the book’s themes long after the last page is read. The crippling effects of childhood trauma and the inner turmoil of the protagonist are both astonishing and heartbreaking as the author narrates his story to his sons.

The best part of the book is the development of the characters. Each and every character in this book had a purpose and contributed to the book’s themes. Throughout each chapter, the words and actions of the tertiary characters were internalized by Chris, accentuating the power that adults have on tender young spirits. A father figure does not seem to care that Chris is having his worst day. A judge sees through adult manipulation and shows compassion for a vulnerable child. A grandmother’s gift of wisdom brings affirmation and self-respect that last a lifetime. Many other examples within the pages of this book serve as a testament to the power of words and the malleable psyche of our youth.

There is nothing to dislike about the book. Its purpose is inspirational, and the emotional descriptions are profound and thought-provoking. It could use another round of editing, though, as many errors in grammar were found. For this reason only, one star is deducted from the rating, and I give this book 3 out of 4 stars.

People who are looking for an inspirational story about the power of love and resilience will really enjoy this story. Those who work with our youth will also benefit from the thoughtful insights given by the protagonist, as the psychological consequences of abuse are on full display. There is moderate profanity and some graphic descriptions of violence. People who are sensitive to detailed narrations of child abuse and domestic violence and very young readers should not read this book. For all others, I highly recommend Destiny Lives on Fairhaven Street; this is a story that absolutely needs to be told.

Destiny Lives on Fairhaven Street
View: on Bookshelves
TheGayOne12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thegayone12.html
Latest Review: Tarja Titan by TC Marti

Post by TheGayOne12 »

Character development is very important indeed, and it sounds like this book did it amazingly. Thank you for the great review!
Sharon Christanto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharon-christanto.html
Latest Review: The path from backpack to briefcase 2nd. idition by R. William Holland, PhD
Reading Device: B09N3YBXCN

Post by Sharon Christanto »

It's an emotional read. And the characters are great! Despite the grammatical errors, I believe that this book is worth reading.
Good job on your review!
Palwika Sethi
Favorite Book: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-palwika-sethi.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by Palwika Sethi »

I would have truly read this masterpiece, only if I was not sensitised to the abusive, manipulative and childhood traumas. However I have never discerned a review more immaculate than the above mentioned. It has truly justified the book to its core
Essy Nma
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-essy-nma.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Essy Nma »

This is a just-in-time self-help book for me. Thanks for the review
Aisha Yakub
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

I think I'd enjoy reading about the power of love and resilience as displayed in this book. Great review.
ellimctreph
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellimctreph.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by ellimctreph »

Not usually a fan of memoirs, but this sounds wildly engaging.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”