Review of Bluewater Walkabout

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Elsie Watson
Currently Reading: Omnivore’s Dilemma
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elsie-watson.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Review of Bluewater Walkabout

Post by Elsie Watson »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Bluewater Walkabout" by Tina Dreffin.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Calling all adventurers! Grab yourselves a copy of Bluewater Walkabout: Into Africa by Tina Dreffin. I am giving this book a much-deserved rating of 3 out of 4 stars. Walkabout, to my understanding, is a journey one takes to elevate oneself to the next stage of life, a coming of age Bluewater Walkabout: Into Africa. captivates the true essence of walkabout.

This memoir is a beautifully written, emotionally packed, real-life adventure on the high seas! It is a testament to living life to the fullest even though it is challenging and at times, downright terrifying! The courage and humanness that pours out from the pages is as refreshing as a cool ocean breeze on a hot summer day! Coming of age, indeed! I enjoyed this memoir tremendously. It took me into the world of sailing, traveling, and learning about one’s character in such a way that I would have never known otherwise.

Tina Dreffin takes us on a nautical journey with her family on their passage from South Africa to the Bahamas. This is not a typical family. This family spends their life on the ocean in a boat! It isn’t every mother who can teach her children how to fish for sharks! We experience all the trials and tribulations of trying to be a wife, mother, daughter, sister, crew member, and independent individual while navigating the ocean. There is a great deal of success and failure just as you would expect but it isn’t predictable. Nothing that happens in this memoir is predictable!

We know a great deal of the main character from the beginning of this journey. We know that Tina is about to do her walkabout. This walkabout comes at a time when she is searching for meaning, stability, and companionship. She has an adventurous nature ever since she was a child growing up in North Carolina and it’s that nature that leads her to finding her soul mate and living an extraordinary life.

One of the many realizations that appealed to me while reading this book was how much we don’t have control over the world around us with all it’s contradictions. We must learn to let go in order to allow things to happen. Tina Dreffin learns this lesson well.

The story moves along at a comfortable pace. It flows gently much like the ocean waves rolling onto the beach and then at times the story picks up in intensity and hits you like a big wave crashing onto the beach. Were they going to make it around the Cape of Good Hope?

For the boating enthusiast and the boating novice alike, this is a fantastic read! I learned a great deal about nautical terminology and the challenges of living and traveling by boat.

I recommend this book for a broad adult audience but feel it is most pertinent to all women, especially those who have struggled with sexual misconduct and abuse from powerful men. The author also brings us into the world of loss and suffering of a type that only a woman can truly understand. This is handled with grace and dignity throughout the text. The memoir of Tina Dreffin, as a woman and survivor, can be used as a guide for all people to comprehend the inherent struggles of being a woman.

I thoroughly enjoyed and appreciated getting to know Tina Dreffin and her world. It was an exhilarating read. I feel a stronger connection to womanhood for having read it.

Much like the author indicates; I, too, have always been enamored with the mysteriousness and diversity of Africa. Bluewater Walkabout: Into Africa does not disappoint in enveloping one into Africa’s beauty and harshness.

I felt as though I traveled every inch of ocean and land along with Tina and her family. I especially appreciated the chapters on the safari. It was so exciting to read! It had everything: suspense, frustration, laughter, even rhinos, elephants, and giraffes!

The author takes a few risks in this book which I believe were worth taking. There are many topics that may be considered taboo to discuss let alone write about. These topics were managed with dignity and appropriate sensitivity.

The only negative comment I have is with the editing. There were many errors especially towards the end of the text.

To conclude, I feel it is worthy of repeating that I thoroughly enjoyed reading this memoir and I highly recommend treating yourself to it.

Bluewater Walkabout
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”