Review of Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jessica Iwuagwu
Favorite Book: You, The People
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessica-iwuagwu.html
Latest Review: UNUM: Infinity and Eternity by Rudy Ernst

Review of Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks

Post by Jessica Iwuagwu »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E Tavel, MD.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Morton E. Tavel, a qualified medical doctor, now retired, who specialized in internal medicine and cardiology, and served as a Clinical Professor at Indiana University School of Medicine. He uses his vast knowledge from the medical field to write the book, Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks, which fact-checks myths a person may have about dieting and health, as well as give some insights on health that many possibly did not know. It tells you the “what to do, and want not to do” in various aspects such as dieting, the common cold, and more!

It is a book that had me thinking “Oh, really?” at times, not in a questioning way, but in a way that one would react when they learn a new and interesting fact. As I read through the book, I also found it shocking at times what myths people believed in and could also relate and compare it to some of the myths I thought were true but were quickly corrected by the book, and some tips that fascinated me.

I also loved the fact that the author tried to mix in a bit of humor, which is not usually done for books that one may label a “health book”, even though that label would not be entirely wrong, maybe the misconception would be, but not the actual labeling since it is a topic that one would imagine hopes to improve the readers non-factual or incorrect perceptions of a healthy diet or lifestyle, and if put into action may improve the readers' health somewhat, depending on what the problem may be. Furthermore, references were cited to almost all (if not all) studies in the book, which enhances its credibility.

There aren’t many negative things one can say about a book that tries to positively promote healthy living. A lot, if not all the contents were helpful to know. I overall enjoyed the book, despite it being what a layperson may generally categorize as a “health book”, which it is, don’t get me wrong it is a book that promotes the idea of being healthy, but in a way that is clear and easy for the readers to understand without too much medical jargon.

The book is well-edited, with minimum errors that would not usually pose much of a distraction, in addition to the above-mentioned points, I rate the book 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to anyone that is curious about the tips and tricks the book has to offer and has a craving to learn new things.

Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Emmanuel Anyalewechi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pharmemma.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Emmanuel Anyalewechi »

This book must be insightful.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”