Review of Why Can't Johnny Just Quit?

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Donaldo16
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donaldo16.html
Latest Review: Fulfillment by ICA

Review of Why Can't Johnny Just Quit?

Post by Donaldo16 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Why Can't Johnny Just Quit?" by Kyle Oh.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Addiction is a word that comes with a lot of views. Why Can't Johnny Just Quit? by Kyle Oh, is a book that extensively clears some of these ideologies and gives better views that could help curb the rate of addiction.

Over time, addiction has been given a lot of different definitions by different people based on the situation in which they view it. This book talked a lot about addiction to clear this doubt. One of the greatest ideas was how addiction was being confused for abuse. No doubt, all addicts abuse drugs, but not all those who abuse drugs are addicts. The author cited an example of how people take drugs to do away with their problems, challenges, etc. This doesn't mean they are addicts, as they always return to their state of normality when the issue has been resolved. But in the case of addiction, this euphoria gotten from these drugs gives them a sensational feeling that makes them want to keep doing it. And this leads to the cravings they have for these drugs. They can hardly do away with it. There are a lot of myths about addiction. Grab a copy.

I was struck by the part of the book where the author talked about the downfall of addiction. Indeed, many have lost all they had in their family to addiction. However, we have a great role to play with this addict. Instead of condemning him, we can show him our care, sympathy, and love. Through this, we can have an intelligent discussion on addiction and how to further prevent it.

I disliked nothing about this book. The author did a very great job by sharing the personal experience he had with his patient to give a tone of seriousness and also to make the book understandable. A lot of people are passing through hell by going through addiction. This book can serve as a guide for dealing with such people.However, most of the words used in this book are medical jargon, thereby making the book difficult for those who are not in the medical profession, though I commend the author for using the experience she had to make it a lot easier.

I would love to rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. This shows that it was thoroughly edited. A lot of the ill perceptions can be corrected with this book. Therefore, I would recommend this book to parents, guardians, and teenagers.

Why Can't Johnny Just Quit?
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Latest Review: Fulfillment by ICA

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”