Review of Free to be Me

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Darlings O
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darlington-onuoha.html
Latest Review: Imperfect Lives Perfect Grace by Dr. E.M. Johnson

Review of Free to be Me

Post by Darlings O »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Free to be Me" by Annette Johnson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Holy Bible tells us that Abraham believed God, and it was counted unto him as righteousness. How far can our faith in God go? In Matthew 13, we are told of the parable of the sower, and in explaining this parable, Jesus Christ made it clear that so many things would test our faith. Some seeds (faith) will fall by the rocks, some by the pathway, and some will be choked by thorns, which is invariably the many trials of this world. It is only when our faith is tested that we can know to what degree we stand with God.

Free to be Me: A Transparent Journey to Breaking the Chains Imposed by Others is a faith-based book by Annette Copeland Johnson. This book aims to reach people who are seeking freedom from bondage. The author skillfully uses her own experiences to connect the messages she teaches on. She talked about so many experiences, from the story of the house of mirrors at the Carnival to a marathon race, and down to her experience in the church from Sister So and So. Annette takes us on a journey to discovering what hidden lessons could be learned from these her experiences. What does it mean to be free to you? This book is packed with faith-lifting messages and lessons to guide you on your path to total freedom from chains imposed by others.

I liked that the author occasionally added the definition of certain words. Although I knew these words before now, I still valued these definitions because they helped me remember these words and understand what the author was saying better. Also, the author addressed the readers directly. This made it seem like it was not just a book but a direct conversation with the author. Have I talked about the Bible verses, especially from the new testament? Spiritual books have never been this personalized. This one felt different; it spoke to my spirit and my mind.

The author added a story to each chapter to drive home her message. These stories related well to each chapter's message. As a matter of fact, the stories helped me quickly understand the lesson in each chapter. The author made the book very interactive, employing the use of informal words, like y'all and kinda. At the end of some chapters, she added questions or tasks for the readers. This book was exceptionally well edited; I found no errors in it.

However, I found some something that could be worked on in this book. The author focused more on people with families and children. Since I am not yet married, nor do I have children, sometimes I felt left out of the conversation. Except the author did not intend for single people to read this book, it felt awkward at times when she asked the reader questions bothering on family or children.

I would gladly give this book a rating of four out of four stars. This book deserves a perfect rating for its simplicity and interactive nature. Annette did her best to get the messages across in a very simplified and easy to relate manner. In the end, I finished this book with so many new lessons.

I recommend this book to Christians, most especially. The bible passages and inspirations drawn from The Holy Bible would help build your faith and heal your mind. People interested in knowing how to be free from the chains placed on them by people would enjoy this book. In the end, as the author said, people's expectations don't matter, but God's expectations do.

Free to be Me
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
OTrain Disene
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flight Quack
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-otrain-disene.html
Latest Review: Mysteries by Graham Wilson

Post by OTrain Disene »

You wrote a very honest review. You let me know what I would expect from this book so well, without holding anything back. With that said, I don't thik I will read this one because it is not really my cup of tea.
Amiczy Heaven
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amiczy-heaven.html
Latest Review: Living the Beatitudes by Gary L. Engstrom

Post by Amiczy Heaven »

The title of this book, got my attention. Reading through your review, I feel like this is a book I have to read now. Thank you for your review.
Apple 7
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-apple-7.html
Latest Review: The MECE Muse by Christie Lindor

Post by Apple 7 »

Spiritual healing and freedom was my take from perusing through. The book is quite valuable in itself, with a lot to impart....nice review
Aisha Yakub
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

This should be a great christian book. Thank you for your review.
Astral Magi
Favorite Book: Name of the Wind
Currently Reading: Crossroads
Bookshelf Size: 523
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-astral-magi.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Astral Magi »

This sounds like an interesting book. Thank you for a great review.
🕉Be Here Now⌛
Amynwankwo_
Currently Reading: My Enemy in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amynwankwo.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Amynwankwo_ »

I find that faith does equal liberty and freedom. It takes away the chains of worry, fear etc. I love that the author has used her personal experiences to relay this message. Thank you for your review.
Sia P
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sia-p.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Sia P »

I agree with you; this book may not be as appealing to those like you and me who are still single. Thanks for a lovely review, I appreciate your honesty! :))
Oyedele Tomijane
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cleverspider001.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Oyedele Tomijane »

Hmmmm.... I do not particularly enjoy reading faith-based books, but the fact that they are for families draws me in. Thanks for the lovely review.
Rita Nuncia
Currently Reading: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rita-nuncia.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Rita Nuncia »

I thought books on Bible or religion are usually boring but your review has given me a different perspective. Nice review

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”