Review of Faith Hacker

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Review of Faith Hacker

Post by Cecilia_L »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Faith Hacker" by James "Jim" Wilcox.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

James "Jim" Wilcox acknowledges that there was a time when he rejected anything associated with religion. Now, in this age of Artificial Intelligence, he pairs his faith and technological expertise to explore scriptures in Faith Hacker. Although the author modestly describes himself as a self-taught "software/tech community evangelist" and "Christian-faith geek," he has received Microsoft's Most Valuable Professional partner awards since 2019. Wilcox targets tech-savvy agnostics, but he reassures readers that he is not asking them to suspend their belief or unbelief; instead, he challenges them to search for their own answers.

In this exceptionally edited 145-page read, the author engages readers with creative inferences regarding the connection between technology, psychology, faith, and even music. For instance, Wilcox explores psychology's relation to the blues and the sacrament of communion. He writes, "Part of the reason the blues style of music is so popular is that it connects people on a primal level." The author shares "The Doctor's Description," quoting from the Gospel of Luke about the Lord's Supper. Taking it a step further, Wilcox compares the disciples' bickering over who was the greatest to current social persecution often perpetrated by faith groups. While his manner of connecting the dots may not resonate with everyone, many will relate to his honest soul searching.

"Paying forward my grandfather's challenge as best I can is what this book is about"; Wilcox begins the book with fond recollections of the influence his grandparents had on his life. These are my favorite portions. In addition to serving as the inspiration for the book, they provide readers with a more personal glimpse of the author, who reveals that he and his sister grew up with abusive parents. However, Wilcox keeps the tone of his message light, balancing technical jargon and scriptural musings while quoting entertainment references, such as The Office, The Matrix, and The Social Dilemma.

On the other hand, the "Asherah" narratives were my least favorite sections. Wilcox described these portions as "parables in technical terms," and while I grasped the parallels to the overall message, the sci-fi/fantasy delivery was not my cup of tea. Having said that, I will reiterate that the parables will most likely appeal to Wilcox's target audience.

It is my pleasure to rate Faith Hacker 4 out of 4 stars. Given the author's unique perspective and attention to scientific objectivity, I recommend the book to a broader audience than Christian readers alone. The following example illustrates Wilcox's likeliness to connect with the previously-mentioned target: "...no agnostic critical thinker can seriously take the scriptural creation literally. Still, a critical thinker can think of hypotheses that might make a literal truth behind it."

Faith Hacker
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Umesh Bhatt
Favorite Book: Identity And Violence
Currently Reading: Make Your Message Matter
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-umesh-bhatt.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
2024 Reading Goal: 8
2024 Goal Completion: 25%

Post by Umesh Bhatt »

Linking technology with faith, religion, psychology, and other things is a remarkable thing in itself. Thanks for the detailed review.
Knowledge is power but one has to be a bookworm! :techie-studyingbrown:
Ajiboye Shola
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ajiboye-shola.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Ajiboye Shola »

The book is broad in content. joining faith with psychology, music, and religion is quite interesting.I have to take my time to have a look.good job here.
beckybrandon
Currently Reading: Summer of the Second Coming
Bookshelf Size: 43

Post by beckybrandon »

Wow. am really amazed by this review and the idea of this book. The mix of science, music, technology with faith is something really new to me. It seems to be really intriguing.
beckybrandon
Currently Reading: Summer of the Second Coming
Bookshelf Size: 43

Post by beckybrandon »

Wow. am really amazed by this review and the idea of this book. The mix of science, music, technology with faith is something really new to me. It seems to be really intriguing.
jimmy02
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jimmy02.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by jimmy02 »

Technology paired with faith technology. Sounds more like an oxymoron, yet, I would love to take up this book to read and review it. :D
Aisha Yakub
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

This is thought provoking and mentally stimulating. I like that you recommended this piece to a broader audience than just christians. Thank you for the review.
Korie Ifeoma Chisomaga
Favorite Book: How to Survive the Coming Retirement Storm
Currently Reading: TBD August 2022 Book of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-korie-ifeoma-chisomaga.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Korie Ifeoma Chisomaga »

Nothing makes me smile other than reading a lovely blend of science and God. Which is what this author describes.
Adelle v
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adelle-v.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Adelle v »

Thanks for a great and informative review. Linking Faith and technology, music and so much more is something to think about.
Beauty Kalu22
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-segunjohn.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Beauty Kalu22 »

Thank you for a well detailed and honest review. I've always loved non fiction books and this sounds like one I'll definitely love to have for myself.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”