Review of Beneath the Muscle

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Amiczy Heaven
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amiczy-heaven.html
Latest Review: Living the Beatitudes by Gary L. Engstrom

Review of Beneath the Muscle

Post by Amiczy Heaven »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Beneath the Muscle" by Lauren Powers.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Beneath the Muscle: Unleash Your Inner Champion by Lauren Powers is a powerful book that inspires and motivates. In this book, the author shares her success journey. Using the first-person narration technique, she shares some of the secrets that enabled her to get to her place of excellence. After the separation of her parents, Lauren and her mother moved in with her grandparents. Being around her supportive family was a good influence on her. She shared a lot of knowledge that helped her as a child. As the story progressed, she grew into a strong woman with a strong determined character.

Lauren moved to Hawaii where she continued being top of her class. She got involved in sports and joined a team. While having fun, she builds her body and her mind. When she graduated from University, she faced even more challenges. She excelled in business and met people from different spheres and with different characters. Life gets dangerous for Lauren; how will she navigate it? Will she be able to find herself again? Find out as she takes you on her journey of determination and excellence.

This was an interesting read. It was interesting knowing I wasn’t reading a story the author made up or some philosophy. She addressed some very important issues. The issue of bullying is everywhere in our society today. Bullying has become a plague. Addressing it was appealing for me. Another valuable thing I found was the nugget at the beginning of each chapter; they were also inspiring in a way. Also, the workbook is a generous addition to help readers reflect on themselves at the end of every chapter. This will help the reader understand themselves better and apply knowledge gotten to their lives.

The story was energizing and motivating. There was a lot to learn from the book. The book teaches you to stand out and show the world who you are. Lauren explained that you do not need to follow the crowd, and that it is okay to be different. The power of self-awareness and acceptance cannot be overemphasized. The fact that she was involved in a lot of extra activities and still focused on education is inspiring. It goes to show that you can excel in a combination of different things at the same time. One of the most important lessons I got is perseverance. She encourages her readers to persevere and never give up.

Some concepts in the book were repeated. I always find repetition tiring while reading a book. I had to check carefully sometimes to be sure I had not gone back to read something I had read before. Also, the workbook kept showing an error code. I do hope others can access it. Apart from these, I enjoyed reading the book. The author has given a clear message that is easy to understand.

My rating for this book is 4 out of 4 stars. This is because I did not find any objective error. Though I did not like the repetition, I do understand it was for emphasis, and I cannot hold that against the author. The language was simple, and the book was easy to read. The author’s drive was prevalent for me; I was inspired. After reading this book, I feel like I can do anything I want to.

A lot of people can benefit from this book. It is inspiring and motivating. This book will help people who are in a hard place in life. If you love a book that inspires and motivates you, this book will be a great read. Those fighting with addiction will also benefit from this book. Bullies and victims of bullying should also read this book.

Beneath the Muscle
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Kirsi Cultrera
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 196
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirsi-cultrera.html
Latest Review: Remembering Stardust by C. D. Baker

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

I like the message of this book. The thoughts that you do not have to follow the crowd and that it is okay to be different are very empowering. I might give this book a try, maybe it inspires me too!

Thanks for the lovely review!
Kirsi
Official Reviewer Representative
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 342
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: Broken Lance by William H Brown
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Diana Lowery »

I am glad to know that this book discusses the issue of bullying. I think many teens would benefit from hearing her words. Great Review.
Walter R
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-walter-r.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Walter R »

I love when authors reveal the secrets to their reaching excellence. Great review.
Darlings O
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darlington-onuoha.html
Latest Review: Imperfect Lives Perfect Grace by Dr. E.M. Johnson

Post by Darlings O »

Beneath the muscle is an exceptionalll book. The author did an amazing job tellin her success stories one after the other. I am impressed by your review. Thank you for your honesty.
Amiczy Heaven
Currently Reading:

Post by Amiczy Heaven »

Kirsi_78 wrote: 23 Jan 2022, 15:54 I like the message of this book. The thoughts that you do not have to follow the crowd and that it is okay to be different are very empowering. I might give this book a try, maybe it inspires me too!

Thanks for the lovely review!
Thanks for stopping by 😄
Amiczy Heaven
Currently Reading:

Post by Amiczy Heaven »

diana lowery wrote: 23 Jan 2022, 19:21 I am glad to know that this book discusses the issue of bullying. I think many teens would benefit from hearing her words. Great Review.
Yes, they would. Thanks
Amiczy Heaven
Currently Reading:

Post by Amiczy Heaven »

Walter R wrote: 24 Jan 2022, 15:33 I love when authors reveal the secrets to their reaching excellence. Great review.
Thanks for stopping by!
Amiczy Heaven
Currently Reading:

Post by Amiczy Heaven »

Darlington O wrote: 24 Jan 2022, 19:18 Beneath the muscle is an exceptionalll book. The author did an amazing job tellin her success stories one after the other. I am impressed by your review. Thank you for your honesty.
Thank you for stopping by!
Vivian Stones
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Maestro Monologue
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivian-stones.html
Latest Review: The Silicon Divide by Danielle Nowell

Post by Vivian Stones »

This book discussed the pressing issue of the moment, bullying. All schools should have this. Great review.
Astral Magi
Favorite Book: Name of the Wind
Currently Reading: Crossroads
Bookshelf Size: 523
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-astral-magi.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Astral Magi »

I am not all that interested in sport, but your review made me want to read the book. Thank you for an insightful review.
🕉Be Here Now⌛
Amynwankwo_
Currently Reading: My Enemy in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amynwankwo.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Amynwankwo_ »

I like the message this book seeks to convey and I like that important issues such as bullying have been addressed in this book. I love to read memoirs as there’s always something to pick up from them. Plus I love that the author proves that you don’t have to be like everyone! Thank you for your detailed review.
Nan_Syl
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nan-syl.html
Latest Review: Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse

Post by Nan_Syl »

Self-love and care should always come first. The key is always acceptance and perseverance and that is what I feel Lauren Powers did. Great review!
Amiczy Heaven
Currently Reading:

Post by Amiczy Heaven »

Fine Brand wrote: 27 Jan 2022, 08:01 This book discussed the pressing issue of the moment, bullying. All schools should have this. Great review.
Thanks for stopping by
Amiczy Heaven
Currently Reading:

Post by Amiczy Heaven »

Niens Now wrote: 27 Jan 2022, 13:09 I am not all that interested in sport, but your review made me want to read the book. Thank you for an insightful review.
It’s a great book. Thanks for stopping by.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”