Review of When the Flies Swarm

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Satwik Mohanty
Favorite Author: H.P. Lovecraft
Favorite Book: My Living Will
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-satwik-mohanty.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
fav_author_id: 6063

Review of When the Flies Swarm

Post by Satwik Mohanty »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "When the Flies Swarm" by Rico Dixon.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

When talking about the 90s, most people remember the music, the sports cars, the rap rivalries, the video games, the uprising of the internet. But the topic which everyone seems to forget was the crack epidemic. It was at its peak during the early 90s. When The Flies Swarm is an autobiography written by the author Rico Dixon. It recollects the story of the author's childhood just as the crack epidemic unravels.

Devin's mother, Dorray, was one of the finest local crack dealers. They were making good money and could invite people to their house for more amusement. Due to this, their house soon came to be known as the Party House. All was still fine until Dorray went from a dealer to an addict. Devin's younger sister, Shay, was born at this time. What follows is a story of struggle and hardship for Devin. A kid who was forced to mature at a very young age. It shows his attempts to feel normal, feel wanted, feel important.

What I liked most was the delivery of the story. During the entire tale, the author remains true to his emotions. The outcome is a beautifully written story that can be gut-wrenching at times. The story is unmasked, flowing, and transformational. It is an emotional roller coaster. You feel happy or excited at times, but you also feel frustrated or desperate at other moments. The message which the author wanted to convey is evident. The pacing, the writing, the narration is all on point. All these factors make this book a real page-turner.

There is not much that I disliked about this book. My only problem was with the chapter headings. There were a total of 29 chapters in this book, but none of them had a proper title. They were chronological, but the reading experience could have been improved if they had a fitting title justifying their context. Apart from this, the book was flawless. The editing was professional. Except for two minor mistakes, I could not find any errors in this book. For these reasons, I would rate it 4 out of 4 stars.

All in all, When The Flies Swarm is a raw and real experience of a small family crippled by drugs and the hardships which follow. The story is described in a way that can be enjoyed by anyone. It grabs the attention of the reader from the very first page. It took me only two days to complete the book. It also contains descriptions of vulgar scenarios and the use of profane language. So, I would recommend it to a mature audience.

When the Flies Swarm
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Korie Ifeoma Chisomaga
Favorite Book: How to Survive the Coming Retirement Storm
Currently Reading: TBD August 2022 Book of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-korie-ifeoma-chisomaga.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Korie Ifeoma Chisomaga »

The book reminds us of one fundamental principle: you must become what you permit. Reflective of the 1990s, it hurts to think of the damaging effect psychotic drugs had on families and relationships.
Aisha Yakub
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

This a retrospective look on society. I like that this book gets you in your emotions. Should be a great read. Thank you.
Amiczy Heaven
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amiczy-heaven.html
Latest Review: Living the Beatitudes by Gary L. Engstrom

Post by Amiczy Heaven »

I feel sag for Devin. Kids should be allowed to be kids. I wonder how he navigated through. A very insightful review.
D G M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-d-g-m.html
Latest Review: The Employee Millionaire - Personal Workbook by H. J. Chammas

Post by D G M »

This book is sand and inspirational at the same time. I think it will be a good read. Thanks for the review.
GYRO
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gyro.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller
Reading Device: B08CHZGPCB

Post by GYRO »

This book sounds a sad read to me, and lately I'm avoiding such topics. Good job on the review!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”